cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SAN Media server backup failed with status 2063

liuyang
Level 6
Partner Accredited

Hi, my master server is NBU 7.1 on Windows 2008 R2 Enterprise SP1. I have installed media server software on one Exchange mailbox server (Exchange 2010, Windows 2008 R2 Enterprise, NBU 7.1) by using NetBackup Enterprise Client license. So this Exchange mailbox server becomes a SAN media server.

When I test to back up the file system of this server, the test backup completed successfully. However, when I test to back up Exchange DB (Microsoft Exchange Database Avaibility Groups), the backup failed with status code 2063, which said server is not licensed for Remote Client Option.

There are a few Exchange mailbox servers. I checked this error and found it is related to license. SAN media server can only back up itself. In the backup selection, I only choose the database in this Exchange mailbox server. So it should only back up the database in this Exchange mailbox server which should be vaild for the license.

Any suggestions regarding this? Thanks in advance.

5 REPLIES 5

AAlmroth
Level 6
Partner Accredited

I guess you could try to create an entry in EMM making the DAG virtual name an app cluster in NBU. And then tie the two physical nodes to that name. In the Exchange policy you should use the DAG name, and in theory, an Enterprise client license should work, unless changed in 7.x.

There is however some confusion regarding what is supported or not, but it is my understanding that clustering media server| SAN media server roles in EMM is not supported, but using the app_cluster is still supported for application backup.

If this does not work, then I guess you will need full NetBackup Enterprise Server license. Alternatively, as you have the Enterprise client license, you could opt for SAN client. This way the Exch nodes sends data over the SAN to one of your media servers, which then move to disk/tape. SAN client option does however impose some requirements on the media server side (using FT server feature), as only a select few HBAs are supported for target (see compatibility list).

Use following commands to associate your DAG, replace with relevant names;

nbemmcmd -addhost -machinename <name_of_virtual_dag> -machinetype app_cluster
nbemmcmd -updatehost -add_server_to_app_cluster -machinename <node1_in_Exch_cluster> -machinetype media -clustername <name_of_virtual_dag> -netbackupversion 7.1 -masterserver <master_name>
nbemmcmd -updatehost -add_server_to_app_cluster -machinename <node2_in_Exch_cluster> -machinetype media -clustername <name_of_virtual_dag> -netbackupversion 7.1 -masterserver <master_name>

/A

liuyang
Level 6
Partner Accredited

Hi AAlmroth, thanks for your replies. I tried your method but still recive the same error. Seems I will need a media server license then. I have already opened a case with Symantec support and will double check this with them.

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Did you remember to select 'On Demand Only' in the Storage Unit Properties?

Altimate1
Level 6
Partner Accredited

Hi,
The licensing guide clearly state that Enterprise Client NEED Enterprise Server license.
Regards

liuyang
Level 6
Partner Accredited

Hi Marianne, I selected 'On Demand Only' in the Storage Unit Properties.

The issue was solved by Symnatec support by adding the Remote Client license to the SAN media server.