cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SAN Transport method/ VMware

Carl_Ayres
Level 4

Hello,

I need some advice. We have just installed a Dell EqualLogic PS6210x SAN and a new VMware infrastructure running vSphere5.5. I have added a new VMware backup host to our Netbackup domain (Windows Server 2008 R2) with iSCSI connectivity to the VMware switch. I have masked the SAN volumes to the VMware backup host and added the VMware credentials in Netbackup. I am able to browse the ESX hosts and add VMware guests to a policy. I have a LAN network connection for connectivity to the master server and the rest of the domain, and an iSCSI network connection on the vmware backup host purely for use with this new VMware enviroment, I am able to backup and restore to the new VMware environment successfully using the SAN transport method. All good so far but here is my problem.

Upon backup and restore snapshot data is being pulled accross both the LAN and the iSCSI network interfaces to the backup host in equal measure. I would like the snapshot to just go accross the iSCSI network only. I have configured the iSCSI initialtior on my backup host and can see all the volumes, but how can I get Netbackup to just use the iSCSI connection?

Any help appreciated

Regards

Carl

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Carl_Ayres
Level 4

This issue was resolved by creating a new disk storage unit and ensuring that just the iSCSI connected media server was selected for use as a Media server. The issue was that I was using an existing storage unit with another media server selected. Thanks to Martin Hughes @ Symantec for the suggestion.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Have a look at 'Transport modes' options in VMware tab of the policy.

By default, all modes are selected.

If you select SAN only, backups will fail if SAN is not available for some or other reason.

PS:
Sure about vSphere and NBU versions?
vSphere 5.5 is only supported as from NBU 7.6.0.1 (with EEB) and 7.6.0.2.

Carl_Ayres
Level 4

Thanks Marianne,

I am upgrading from 7.5.0.6 to 7.6.0.2 tomorrow. I will see what happens then.

SAN transport type is definately ticked for now.

Carl_Ayres
Level 4

This issue was resolved by creating a new disk storage unit and ensuring that just the iSCSI connected media server was selected for use as a Media server. The issue was that I was using an existing storage unit with another media server selected. Thanks to Martin Hughes @ Symantec for the suggestion.