cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SAN backup for Oracle on Solaris client

me-ver-91
Level 4

Hello,

We have a windows NetBackup master/media server (physical) running NBU 8.2. We have a solaris client (also physical) running Oracle. We want to configure SAN backup for Oracle on this client.

My approach would be:

1- Enable SAN client on the Solaris server (NBU agent already installed).

2- Perform zoning between the Solaris server - Master/Media server - MSDP backup storage.

3- Configure SAN backups in Admin Console.

My questions are:

1- Is the windows Master/Media server supported with the Solaris SAN client? Or do we need a Solaris Media server?

2- Will we need dedicated HBAs on the client as well as the media server?

3- Am I missing anything in the above approach?

I tried looking in the NBU SAN guide but could not find anything. Appreciate your help.

Thanking you in advance :D

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions

Michal_Mikulik1
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Hello,

- it does not need to be Solaris Media Server, it can be for example, Linux OS

- dedicated HBA: on client side No, on Media Server side Yes (you will have to configure Media Server ports in target mode, so you wont probably use them for other purposes anyway). Remember that also certain HBA vendors/models are supported on Media Server side

Regards

Michal

View solution in original post

andrew_mcc1
Level 6
   VIP   

No. Master server role dosen't matter but FT/SAN Media server support is strictly per the HCL under "Fibre Transport Media Server HBAs" - basically Linux only. Also as stated earlier, only a limited set of HBAs are supported (and must be dedicated to Fibre Transport).

Andrew

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

Michal_Mikulik1

Hello,

maybe you did not refer to the right guide, download/look into this: NetBackup812_SANClient_Guide.pdf.

Regards

Michal

Hello Michal,

That's the guide that I checked and I could not find anything related to my above questions regarding dedicated HBAs and if a Solaris media server is needed.

Thanks.

Michal_Mikulik1

Hello,

- it does not need to be Solaris Media Server, it can be for example, Linux OS

- dedicated HBA: on client side No, on Media Server side Yes (you will have to configure Media Server ports in target mode, so you wont probably use them for other purposes anyway). Remember that also certain HBA vendors/models are supported on Media Server side

Regards

Michal

Hello Michal,

Thank you for your support.

Just one more thing, can we use the Windows Master/Media server as FT/SAN Media server? Or does it have to be Linux/Unix?

Thanks!

andrew_mcc1
Level 6
   VIP   

No. Master server role dosen't matter but FT/SAN Media server support is strictly per the HCL under "Fibre Transport Media Server HBAs" - basically Linux only. Also as stated earlier, only a limited set of HBAs are supported (and must be dedicated to Fibre Transport).

Andrew

Michal_Mikulik1

Hello,

agreed with @andrew_mcc1 - for list of supported FTMS OS, see https://www.veritas.com/bin/support/docRepoServlet?bookId=NB_82_HCL&requestType=pdf, page 287.

Regards

Michal

Thank you Michal and Andrew for your help. Much appreciated!

Have a nice day Smiley Happy