Seth_E
Level 6

Hi there,

When we were backing up SAP using TSM, we had 4 utl files

initSID_d.utl (daily)

initSID_w.utl (Weekly

initSID_m.utl (Monthly)

initSID_y.utl (Yearly)

Each utl file specified a different storage pool in TSM. Today, I had to do a restore going back 1 year and I was successful.

However, in Netbackup, I only use one .utl file. 4 Schedules. Each schedule (daily, weekly, monthly, yearly) uses the same .utl file.

Could I potentially run into an issue when restoring Monthy / Yearly backups using the above 1 x utl file method? The schedule is not speicified in the utl and comes from netbackup during an auto run.

4 REPLIES 4

Seth_E
Level 6

To correct above,

We use 4 Policies in Netbackup, each one is responsible for different retention (daily, weekly, monthly, yearly).

Nicolai
Partner    VIP   

Schedules are not used for a restore in Netbackup. 

In netbackup a schedule point to a retention level that decides how long a backup is retained.

Nick_M
Level 3

Hi Seth_E,

How do you initiate your backups?  If they are intiated via scripts then these scripts can refer to the appropriate utl file, just point the 4 NetBackup policies to 4 different scripts.

One thing to be very careful about, and I'm not sure if this is still the case as I'm thinking back to NetBackup ~15 years ago..  when NetBackup schedules backups via an Automatic Backup schedule which initiates a script on a server, that script / SAP then perform backups to an Application Backup type schedule.  Make sure that you set the retention in both Application and Automatic schedules correctly as otherwise it may look like you have backups available for recovery, but there may be no real data there.  If you had configured 4 schedules (day/week/month/year) in 1 policy SAP / the script / environmental variables can choose the "wrong" schedule for you.

Also be aware of the ability of the utl file and OS variables to change the behavior of your scripts - for a UNIX server running SAP your environmental variables could be set by individual logon behavior, group logon, or in the script or utl file.  I never could figure out which should take precedence so you'll need to carefully watch what happens when the backups are run and be aware that you may see different behaviour running the backup script at command-line vs. NetBackup, and any script that sudo's or runs as a user other than root may have a similarly odd effect.

Mark_Solutions
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

As pointed out the application backup schedule determines the retention period of the backups

Please run an images on media report for the client to assess the retention period of the backups that have been performed so far.