cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SAP backup failing

Kushaal
Level 4

HI all ,

SAP online backup of one of the server running Windows 2008 R2 has failed with status cade 6.

Error found on activity monitor is as below

5/5/2014 6:33:51 PM - Error bpbrm(pid=5756) from client 10.9.142.53: ERR - Script <"C:\Program Files\veritas_scripts\DBW_online_backup.cmd"> failed with status: <1>
5/5/2014 6:33:51 PM - Error bpbrm(pid=5756) from client 10.9.142.53: ERR - bphdb exit status = 6: the backup failed to back up the requested files
5/5/2014 6:33:54 PM - Info bphdb(pid=5764) done. status: 6: the backup failed to back up the requested files
the backup failed to back up the requested files(6)

Logs generated under sap_stdout file is below

SAP_SCHEDULED = 1
SAP_USER_INITIATED = 0
SAP_SERVER = citbknbu02
SAP_POLICY = chltv_sap_online_53
SAP_SCHED =
SAP_SNC_SCHED = SAP_Daily_full_online
BR0051I BRBACKUP 7.20 (31)
BR1419E Empty password has been entered

BR0056I End of database backup: benubyus.log 2014-05-05 18.30.50
BR0280I BRBACKUP time stamp: 2014-05-05 18.30.50
BR0054I BRBACKUP terminated with errors
Execution of BRBACKUP command failed - exiting

Logs generated under sap_stdout file is below.

Please provide your suggestion

24 REPLIES 24

Will_Restore
Level 6

>>BR1419E Empty password has been entered

Seems you need to provide the correct password

Kushaal
Level 4

Hi Wr,

I think if i run below services on client.

Netbackup client services,netabackup legacy client services with login account being SAP service account,

issue would be resolved right ?

If i wrong please correct me.

sri_vani
Level 6
Partner

yes make sure that NetBackup Client Service account on the client is running with the same service account which is using for SAP and Oracle .

If the backups are still failing please send us the below logs in .txt format through file attachments..

logs required from client: dbclient,bpbhdb,backint

and analyse logs from brtools -oracle/<SID>/brbackup/ 

Kushaal
Level 4

Uploaded logs of bpbhdb.I could not find any logs in folder ,bpbhdb.please provide your resolution.

And for now i have configured only netbackup client services to run through SAP services account,what are the other netbackup services to be configured with service account

Kushaal
Level 4

***Uploaded logs of bpbhdb.I could not find any logs in folder dbclient,backint ,.please provide your resolution to resolve this issue of backup failure.**

Will_Restore
Level 6

please verify credentials:

Configuring the log on account for the NetBackup Client Service for NetBackup for SAP on Windows

Because the NetBackup Client Service is started by default under the SYSTEM
account, you also must give special attention to database user authentication.

The SYSTEM account does not have permission to connect to the target database
if you use OS authentication instead of passwords.
If you use OS authentication, run the NetBackup client service under an account
that has SYSDBA privileges.

Note: In a cluster environment, perform the steps on each database node in the
cluster. For an off-host backup, perform the steps on the alternate client.

To configure the log on account for the NetBackup Client Service
1 Open the Windows Services application.
2 Double-click on the NetBackup Client Service entry.
3 Click on the Log On tab.
4 Type the account name with SYSDBA privileges.
5 Type the password.
6 Click OK.
7 Stop and start the NetBackup Client Service.
8 Close the Services control panel application.

sri_vani
Level 6
Partner

Kushal,

I could  see only one error i.e BR1419E Empty password has been entered Ithink it is due to some permission issues..

Could u please giv us few more details like

1)did it run any time successful/first time configuration?

2)did u change the Netbackup client service log on to sap/oracle previlleges?

3)is OS Backup on this client successful(I think yes)?

4)Did you engage SAP team for this failure, ask them to verify  the password of SAPSID(db schema owner)

sri_vani
Level 6
Partner

Create dbclient and backint folders under logs folder so that it will help you in troubleshooting for any backup failures on the db client..

Kushaal
Level 4

Hi sri vani,

Kushal,

I could  see only one error i.e BR1419E Empty password has been entered Ithink it is due to some permission issues..

Could u please giv us few more details like

1)did it run any time successful/first time configuration?

A:this the first time we are taking SAP database backup for this server

2)did u change the Netbackup client service log on to sap/oracle previlleges?

Yes i have changes all the client services

Netbackup client service,Netbackup legacy client services,Netbackup legacy network service and netbackup proxy service unde SAP service account .

3)is OS Backup on this client successful(I think yes)?

Yes OS backup on this client is succesful

4)Did you engage SAP team for this failure, ask them to verify  the password of SAPSID(db schema owner)

Yes i took help of SAP person to run client services with SAP service account

Kushaal
Level 4

Hi vani,

I have below lines in SAP script, is it required to enter SAP service account user name and password

under below lines

set CMD_LINE=%BRBACKUP% -u internal/ -c -d util_file_online -t online -m all
%CMD_LINE%

thanks a lot

sri_vani
Level 6
Partner

No we don't provide any user name and password over there..

the "set" here sets the command line to %BRBACKUP% -u internal/ -c -d util_file_online -t online -m all

and then the next line executes the command line %CMD_LINE%

so the key command here is %BRBACKUP% -u internal/ -c -d util_file_online -t online -m all

You need to mention sid details below...

REM ---------------------------------------------------------------------------
REM Replace cer below with the Oracle SID of the target database.
REM ---------------------------------------------------------------------------

set ORACLE_SID=xxxxxxxxxxx

Ask your DBA to verify the password of SID is valid/working or not?

As this is a new setup i recommend you to go through the SAP admin guide for 7.5

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=DOC5176

Kushaal
Level 4

Hi vani,

Thanks a lot.i started looking in to guide, and got a good knowledge over it

1)i got know once backup is trigeered, bphdb process starts script and followed by which bpbackup(SAP tool)

starts backup and interacts with netbackup through  backint interface after which netbackup starts writing data on to the media on storage unit

2)I have configured policy with policy type being SAP,I have left default-application-backup schedule which appears by default without editing as it supports user initiated backup and also created a new schedule for automatic backup schedule.

3)i have also Copied backint.exe from the NetBackup install directory to the SAP tools
directory.
For example, if the Oracle instance name is CER, enter the following command:
copy install_path\NetBackup\bin\backint.exe
c:\usr\sap\CER\sys\exe\run 

4)reason why i was not able to share backint logs earlier to u becausee , i do not have any files created under 
backint directory,reson behind this might be is that as script execution itself is failing, there is no chance of backint to come into picture

Kushaal
Level 4

hi vani,

finally what i got to know is that this SID user name and password should be used to configure the log on account for the NetBackup Client Service am i right ?

sri_vani
Level 6
Partner

Hey Kushaal,

Please verify below steps:

Step 1)Verify the Installation prerequistes
like HCL,License etc
Step 2)Gather the required info like what is the size of the backups,what type of backups (online/offline/redo..)needs to be triggered,frequency,schedules,what media/devices needs to be used, etc etc
Step 3)If everything is met install NB on the client and make sure that SAP server software is installed and operational also make sure that one or more SAP instances get/must exists.
Step 4)Add valid SAP license key on Master server.
Step 5)If am right you are planning  for SAP with an Oracle database and without RMAN
Ask your DBA to locate all SAP tools in a predetermined directory
it would be C r D r wat ever drive path it should follow like this X\usr\sap\SID\SYS\exe\run  (This should contain brarchive,brbackup,brrestore,brtools,sapdba commands)
where SID(systems ID/user ID) is the unique name for an Oracle database instance... Usually DBA will take care of it..
Step 6)Copy the backint.exe from install_path\NetBackup\bin\backint.exe and place it under  X\usr\sap\SID\SYS\exe\run(predetermined path explained above)
Step 7)Create dbclient,bphdb,backint under logs if nt exists already.
Step 8)Configure backup policy according to ur acct needs
Step 9)Modify backup scripts by using sample  scripts and place it in desired location and the same location details needs to be provided under backup selection in backup creation(step-7)
verify the sample scripts in below path
install_path\NetBackup\DbExt\SAP\samples
collect it and provide it to your DBA and ask them to update it or you gather all the required info and modify it. I prefer/reccommend DBA to update it.
Step 10)Configure log on account on client
Double-click on the NetBackup Client Service entry on client, Type the account name with SYSDBA privileges ,provide password and click OK.
and refresh services.
Step 11)Configure SAP files,,,provide the required details to Your DBA and ask them to modify below files
initSID.utl and initSID.sap
The initSID.utl file is the SAP parameter file.
for more details plz verify admin guide SAP Admin guide 7.5 page no 55... Link is in the above post
Step 12)After everything is properly configured plz  refresh both NB and SAP services(Not mandatory,some how am used to/preferred to) and fire a online test backup..

For more details plz refer the admin 7.5 SAP guide and let us know for any queries..

sri_vani
Level 6
Partner

For DB bakcups NBCLIENT Service account should run with SYSDBA previlleges rather with Local admin previlleges.

In your case I suspect the problem is with configuration setup and incorrect script...please refer the admin guide and verify everything..Hope you will fix it soon..

Mark_Solutions
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

It seems that since 7.5 for this type of backup it needs both the NetBackup Client Service and the NetBackup Legacy Network Service to run as a suitable account and that account should also be a member of the local administrators group - happens with SQL 2008 too

Hope this helps along with all the other great advice

Mark_Solutions
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

I didnt see it in the SQL guide either but 2008 SQL backups didn't work until i set it that was - support confirmed it when i opened a case

sri_vani
Level 6
Partner

Thank you Mark..but I dont see this point in SAP 7.5 admin(may be am wrong ,probably missed/over looked it)

#edit#

sri_vani
Level 6
Partner

Thx Mark for getting back and confirming us... I will make a note of it...Have a good day...smiley