cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SAP database brrestore from tape

prominen
Level 3

Hi guys,

How do I restore a SAP database from tape library? I've search through internet and didn't get the info that I need.

We are planning to do test restoration from tape tomorrow.

From what I have tried, I open backup, archive and restore console and choose "specify the Netbackup machine and Policy type".

Than select Policy type for restore to SAP with all the correct client source and destination.

I can see all the backup including tape. Under the schedule type I can see User Backup and Full Backup.

For User Backup I can see all folder listed however for Full Backup there is an error "Unable to obtain list of files using specified search criteria".

Is this the correct way to restore from tape? Any script that I need to amend in order to do the restoration?

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Nicolai
Partner    VIP   

You can restore any backup from SAP side, its just a qustion of specifying the right backup ID in SAP.

brrestore -b xxxxxxx.aft -m full

where xxxxxxx.aft is the backup id created by SAP backup (look in the sapbackup directory). Netbackup will via backint retrive the mathing data.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

Nicolai
Partner    VIP   

I assume you got SAP on Oracle. If not, this reply does not apply

You can't use the GUI to restore SAP databases. 

From the sap system you restore using the SAP command : brrestore

See : Symantec NetBackup 7.6 for SAP Administrator's Guide

http://www.symantec.com/docs/DOC6482

Page 82

prominen
Level 3

Hi Nicolai,

From the guide, how to determine whether the command trigger restore from tape? because the "last" command indicate that the restore will look for last successfull backup. Last successfull backup should be in the disk not tape.

I want to try restore a month ago backup that is in the tape right now.

Thanks

Marianne
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

NBU will restore from the primary copy of the backup.

You can use bpimagelist command on the master server to extract a list of image-id's for the SAP client:

bpimagelist -client <name> -pt SAP -d <start-date> -e <end-date> -idonly

To check the amount of copies for the image and the location, use the command for image-id identified above:

bpimagelist -backupid <image-id> -L

You can then promote a copy to primary to restore from.

bpimage: -npc <copy #> -backupid <image-id>

Nicolai
Partner    VIP   

You can restore any backup from SAP side, its just a qustion of specifying the right backup ID in SAP.

brrestore -b xxxxxxx.aft -m full

where xxxxxxx.aft is the backup id created by SAP backup (look in the sapbackup directory). Netbackup will via backint retrive the mathing data.

prominen
Level 3

Sorry for late update,

After perform the restoration from disk, I've tried using the same method for tape only after I've verify that the backup is already on tape.

When the restoration begin, on the activity monitor I able to see that the restoration is taken from tape with media ID.

Restoration complete successfully without any error.

Thanks guys.

Nicolai
Partner    VIP   

Glad to hear - thanks for marking a solution.