Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SAP online backup script to do full and archive log backups

Yajith
Level 4
Partner Accredited

Hello All,

First of all, sorry if this question has already been asked and answered before. I'm new to SAP backup.

The environment I'm working with, we have setup SAP-Netbackup integration to backup via backint. I'm using a slightly modified version of sap_online_backup script. We are backing up to tape via SAN. Questions I have at the moment is are below.

1. In the documentation it says that only full backups are supported in this method. Will it be a good solution to keep backing up the archive log files within short intervals between full backups ?

2. I have configured a single policy with 2 schedules ( full + diff incremental ) and setup the script to backup archive logs when diff incremental schedule is executed. ( Just to keep things simple and not have too many policies ) I have set the full schedule to backup and clean the archive logs but on the archive log backup, it will only backup and not delete. Is this a good way of doing it ? 

3. In above method, will brarchive backup all the archive logs each time its run or only the files that were not backed up during the last run ?

4. With above method, when it comes to a restore, will it restore only the items from the last full backup ? or will it restore everything untill the last backed up archive logs ?

5. Once the brrestore is complete, which steps need to be taken to bring the database online ? I ask this since I have some practical limitations to test this as of now.

I have attached my backup script. Appreciate any advice that can be provided.

Regards,

Yajith

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

sri_vani
Level 6
Partner

1. In the documentation it says that only full backups are supported ia this method. Will it be a good solution to keep backing up the archive log files within short intervals between full backups ?

SAP Database backups are FULL in nature and do not support incremental. Yes, it is good to schedule archiving and the frequency should be based on the type of the server (PROD/ DEV/TEST) and the availability of the disk space to host the logs.

2. I have configured a single policy with 2 schedules ( full + diff incremental ) and setup the script to backup archive logs when diff incremental schedule is executed. ( Just to keep things simple and not have too many policies ) I have set the full schedule to backup and clean the archive logs but on the archive log backup, it will only backup and not delete. Is this a good way of doing it ?

As told above it depends on the type of the server and disk space available for the logs. In my opinion, it is a good practice to get the archive logs deleted post the sweeping to ensure the space is released for the fresh logs. If the logs fill up the disk, the application can hang or crash.

Get with the SAP admin to get the parameter copy_save_delete updated in the init<SID>.sap file to get the logs deleted.

3. In above method, will brarchive backup all the archive logs each time its run or only the files that were not backed up during the last run ?

In your case it will backup only the logs that are not backed up earlier.

4. With above method, when it comes to a restore, will it restore only the items from the last full backup ? or will it restore everything untill the last backed up archive logs ?

You can restore till the last successful archive log backups. SAP team would be able to tell if they need any logs to recover SAP application and also the range of logs they need. You may restore accordingly.

5. Once the brrestore is complete, which steps need to be taken to bring the database online ? I ask this since I have some practical limitations to test this as of now.

Once the restoration is complete, a BUR admins job is done. Let your SAP admins or DBAs bring up the database online. If they further need any logs to get the DB online they request you to do so.

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1

sri_vani
Level 6
Partner

1. In the documentation it says that only full backups are supported ia this method. Will it be a good solution to keep backing up the archive log files within short intervals between full backups ?

SAP Database backups are FULL in nature and do not support incremental. Yes, it is good to schedule archiving and the frequency should be based on the type of the server (PROD/ DEV/TEST) and the availability of the disk space to host the logs.

As told above it depends on the type of the server and disk space available for the logs. In my opinion, it is a good practice to get the archive logs deleted post the sweeping to ensure the space is released for the fresh logs. If the logs fill up the disk, the application can hang or crash.

Get with the SAP admin to get the parameter copy_save_delete updated in the init<SID>.sap file to get the logs deleted.

In your case it will backup only the logs that are not backed up earlier.

You can restore till the last successful archive log backups. SAP team would be able to tell if they need any logs to recover SAP application and also the range of logs they need. You may restore accordingly.

Once the restoration is complete, a BUR admins job is done. Let your SAP admins or DBAs bring up the database online. If they further need any logs to get the DB online they request you to do so.