cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SCCM automation using silentclient.cmd 8.1.1

X2
   VIP   

*** I tried to do a search in Vox for silentclient.cmd usage with 8.1.x version but the results were not what I'm looking for (the queries were pre 8.x) ***

I configured the silentclient.cmd options file with Master server fingerprint and Authorization token (for fresh installs only) and provided that to our SCCM administrator.

He is able to run the silent.cmd and NetBackup 8.1.1 gets installed and configured except for the certificate part. The trust between the client and master is successfully created. However, the certificate does not get deployed.

I put the value of Authorization token for AUTHORIZATION_TOKEN variable in addition to other settings and save the file. The one thing that I have noticed is that the commands at the bottom of the files @Echo does add the AUTHORIZATION_TOKEN to the %RESPFILENAME%.  (adding the variable in %RESPFILENAME% didn't change anything though!)

Has anyone got it working using silentclient.cmd along with certificates deployment?

9 REPLIES 9

Michael_G_Ander
Level 6
Certified

Think you need to request the certificate as post process to the install when using the silent.cmd by the nbcertcmd.

See https://www.veritas.com/support/en_US/article.000127129 for more information.

Also has been told the Veritas should have a SCCM netbackup client package, but has not been able to find it.

The standard questions: Have you checked: 1) What has changed. 2) The manual 3) If there are any tech notes or VOX posts regarding the issue

X2
   VIP   

@Michael_G_Ander- client certificate can be run via the silentclient.cmd also. The fact that CA trust is being established, means that the process works.

I went through the log files and finally found the reason of certificate deployment failure. The VM is provisioned by SCCM in a temporary VLAN and uses DHCP. Once the provisioned part completes via SCCM, our VM admins do final configurations on the VM which includes the correct IP address and VLAN.

The silentclient.cmd fails certificate deployment with EXIT STATUS 5954: The host name could not be resolved to the requesting host's IP address. Unless we change that, the certificate deployment portion cannot be done successfully during the SCCM deployment.

Do note that the rest of the configuration of NetBackup client works though: setting up CA trust, client host name, master server, and additional servers, using the silentclient.cmd.

Hi X2,

I added below line in silent scritp but its not working can you please help me to modify this ?

nbcertcmd -getCertificate -host  %COMPUTERNAME% -server Master_server -force >> "c:\Temp\NB_Install.log"

@X2

I added below line in silent scritp but its not working can you please help me if required any modification ?

nbcertcmd -getCertificate -host  %COMPUTERNAME% -server Master_server -force >> "c:\Temp\NB_Install.log"

X2
   VIP   

@Ranjit1Assuming that the NetBackup client is properly added to the domain and has correct reverse IP address, the %COMPUTERNAME% gives you only the short computer name. This should work if you are you using short computer names when setting up reverse IP lookups.

In my case, I have to use FQDN and just using %COMPUTERNAME% gives me an error. So, as I'm logged in to the same domain, I would use:

nbcertcmd -getCertificate -host %COMPUTERNAME%.%USERDNSDOMAIN% -server Master_server >> "C:\Temp\NB_install.log"

You will need to experiment this when using SCCM because the accound running the script needs to be logged on to the same domain as the client. Otherwise, you can use another way to find out the domain name of the client and use that in the command (yes, you can add Windows commands in the script. I have done it on the top part before any NetBackup commands).

@X2Thanks for the quick reply, i will check its working for me or not 

if you dont mind can you please send me the silent script what you using so its help me lot

Moved:

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

@X2i tried what you suggested but its not working for me, can you please share me your slient file so i can modify accordingly for me 

@ECHO ABORT_REBOOT_INSTALL:%ABORT_REBOOT_INSTALL%>> %RESPFILENAME%
@ECHO PBXCONFIGURECS:FALSE>> %RESPFILENAME%

setup.exe /CLIENT -s /REALLYLOCAL /RESPFILE:'%RESPFILENAME%'
SET MSIEXEC_STATUS=%ERRORLEVEL%

cd "C:\"

cd "C:\Program Files\Veritas\NetBackup\bin"

nbcertcmd -getCACertificate -server MCDSINPUTL1016.corp.pri > "c:\Temp\NB_Install.log"

nbcertcmd -getCertificate -host %COMPUTERNAME%.%USERDNSDOMAIN% -server Masterserver.corp.pri -force >> "c:\Temp\NB_Install.log"

IF EXIST %RESPFILENAME% del %RESPFILENAME%

exit /B %MSIEXEC_STATUS%

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified