Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SCOM Monitoring of NetBackup and Appliances

Mark_Solutions
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

Hi All

I am looking for users experience with monitoring NetBackup using SCOM, particularly SCOM 2013.

I have several NetBackup installations comprising of Windows 2012 and 2008 Master Servers, Windows 2008 R2 Media Severs with MSDP, RHEL Media Servers with MSDP and 5240 Appliances .. everything running NBU V 8.0 / 3.0.

I have NBU V 8.0 OpsCenter servers on Windows 2008R2 / 2012 also.

The system has always been monitored using traps via OpsCenter sent to TIV plus some basic O/S monitoring for disk space, services and processes etc. but TIV is being replaced by SCOM and our SCOM administrator is having difficulty getting anywhere with monitorin the systems to match what TIV was doing.

Any experiences, advice, setup details etc would be most appreciaited.

Thanks, Mark

2 REPLIES 2

Michael_G_Ander
Level 6
Certified

I have seen Netbackup monitored by SCOM on Windows servers by monitoring the services and having a custom bpend_exit_notify that was writing to the application event log. Know the service part was an adapted Windows OS MP.

Never got the now obsolete SCOM MP to function properly. Seems that SNMP traps & SCOM is not easy to get to work together.

The standard questions: Have you checked: 1) What has changed. 2) The manual 3) If there are any tech notes or VOX posts regarding the issue

Mark_Solutions
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

Thanks for your thoughts Michael

Based on the lack of any other responses on this one i guess it doesn't get used much, doesn't work very well  .. or VOX is quieter than it used to be...

I am told that there have not been enough requests to do a SCOM 2013 pack so it will not get created or looked at further so will have to do what we can ... maybe i will publish a guide once we have it all working.

Thanks again

Mark