cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SLP Duplication Failure

rsamora
Level 5
Certified

I have read through the other "Status 191" discussions but I didn't find a solution.  I didn't find anyone with the same problem which is probably why I didn't find a solution.

Here's what I see under "Detailed Status" of the Job Details...

5/3/2013 7:11:59 AM - begin Duplicate
5/3/2013 7:11:59 AM - requesting resource LCM_NDMP-GULF-1
5/3/2013 7:11:59 AM - granted resource LCM_NDMP-GULF-1
5/3/2013 7:11:59 AM - started process RUNCMD (9892)
5/3/2013 7:11:59 AM - ended process 0 (9892)
5/3/2013 7:12:00 AM - requesting resource NDMP-GULF-1
5/3/2013 7:12:00 AM - reserving resource @aaaaO
5/3/2013 7:12:02 AM - reserved resource @aaaaO
5/3/2013 7:12:02 AM - granted resource MediaID=@aaaaQ;DiskVolume=NDMP-GULF-1;DiskPool=NDMP-GULF-1;Path=NDMP-GULF-1;StorageServer=10.160.125...
5/3/2013 7:12:02 AM - granted resource NDMP-GULF-1
5/3/2013 7:12:10 AM - requesting resource @aaaaO
5/3/2013 7:12:10 AM - granted resource MediaID=@aaaaO;DiskVolume=NDMP-1;DiskPool=NDMP-1;Path=NDMP-1;StorageServer=D2D3-CORP-C12;MediaServer...
5/3/2013 7:12:11 AM - Info Duplicate(pid=9892) Initiating optimized duplication from @aaaaO to @aaaaQ     
5/3/2013 7:12:11 AM - Error bpduplicate(pid=9892) BPCD on mediasrv09-corp.eprod.com exited with status 48: client hostname could not be found
5/3/2013 7:12:11 AM - Error bpduplicate(pid=9892) Cannot start read process on mediasrv09-corp.eprod.com: client hostname could not be found (48)
5/3/2013 7:12:11 AM - Error bpduplicate(pid=9892) Duplicate of backupid fas1b_1367292660 failed, client hostname could not be found (48).
5/3/2013 7:12:11 AM - Error bpduplicate(pid=9892) Status = no images were successfully processed.     
5/3/2013 7:12:11 AM - end Duplicate; elapsed time: 00:00:12
no images were successfully processed(191)

The problem is with the part I have in bold print, "mediasrv09-corp.eprod.com."  When I created the SLP, in the Duplication process, I had mediasrv09-corp.eprod.com listed as an "Alternate Read Server."  It was an old server and I retired it.  I decomissioned the server through the normal decomission process and there is no trace of it anywhere within NetBackup.  In the SLP, the server is no longer listed as an Alternate Read server.  However, as you can see, the Duplication process is still trying to write to that server.  From where is the SLP getting the instruction to keep using that server?

Thanks,
Randy

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Marianne
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

It sound as if the wrong SLP version is being used.

See this TN for steps to list SLP versions and replace with correct version:

http://www.symantec.com/docs/HOWTO73032

Hope this helps.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

revarooo
Level 6
Employee

Forget the 191 for now, here is your issue:

5/3/2013 7:12:11 AM - Error bpduplicate(pid=9892) BPCD on mediasrv09-corp.eprod.com exited with status 48: client hostname could not be found

Status 48:

client hostname could not be found
The system function gethostbyname() failed to find the client's host name.

Verify that the client name is correct in the following:
* The NetBackup policy configuration on the master server.
* The General tab in the following dialog boxes: NetBackup Client Properties and Specify NetBackup Machines and Policy Type (on Microsoft Windows and NetWare nontarget clients). To display these dialog boxes, start the Backup, Archive, and Restore interface on the client. For the General tab, click NetBackup Client Properties on the File menu; click Specify NetBackup Machines and Policy Type on the File menu.
* The bp.conf file on UNIX, Linux, and Macintosh clients.
* The bp.ini file on NetWare target clients.
* On clients and servers, verify that the name service is set up to resolve the NetBackup client names correctly.
On UNIX and Linux clients, verify that the client's host name is in the /etc/hosts file or the YP hosts file or NIS maps.

rsamora
Level 5
Certified

revaroo,

The server was decommissioned within NetBackup and the hardware was retired.  As far as NetBackup is concerned, the server doesn't exist.  That's why I'm confused as to why the Duplication process is still trying to use it.

rsamora
Level 5
Certified

I think I may have found the issue.  After numerous failed jobs, I reconfigured the SLP yesterday to remove mediasrv09-corp.eprod.com as an Alternate Read Server.  I thought the issue had been resolved because the next SLP that ran finished successfully.  However, a few minutes later, I got another batch of Status 191s.  Apparently new jobs are going to be okay. 

(I'm guessing) Since mediasrv09-corp was listed as an Alternate Read Server when the dupe job first tried to run and failed, NetBackup is going to keep trying to run it just like it did the first time which is to mediasrv09-corp.  I have to cancel those dupe jobs or wait for the images to expire.

Marianne

It sound as if the wrong SLP version is being used.

See this TN for steps to list SLP versions and replace with correct version:

http://www.symantec.com/docs/HOWTO73032

Hope this helps.

Mark_Solutions
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

The SLP version is spot on - as you suspected and Marianne points out.

It is sometimes possible to edit the SLP from the command line using the "all versions" swicth and edit them  to not have an alternate read host but if not or it doesn't work for you then you will need to cancel that image from lifecycle control and duplicate it manually

rsamora
Level 5
Certified

BINGO!!!  You're still the best Marianne, I don't care what Stump keeps saying about you.  Thank you for your help.  Have a great weekend.

Marianne

Bob's my uncle! LOL!