SLP Duplication Question

DG-2005
Level 5

Env Setup:

NBU 7.5.0.6

Window Master (virt)

Window Media (phy)

DD 4200

Off-site x2 DD670 (Configured as Sotrage Unit Group, Load balanced)

I have a few various policies setup with SLP for replicating a DD to an off-site DD. This is setup within NBU as a duplicate job in SLP. My question is , with duplication you set the retention to retain the information.

In SLP The following are applied:

Operation: Duplication

Retention Type : Fixed

Retention Period : 3 mo

Preserve multiplexing checked.

If a policy has the following setup:

Weekly Fulls (3 months)

Daily Inc  ( 30 days)

Will the SLP override the retention on the backup jobs thsemselves or retain that?

I know a manual duplication from the catalog page allows you to determine the retention lenght or make no changes, but for automated, what would be applied?

Thanks and sorry for long-winded question.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Deb_Wilmot
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

Yes - anything in the SLP will override the policy/schedule configuration.

Deb

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

Deb_Wilmot
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

Yes - anything in the SLP will override the policy/schedule configuration.

Deb

Nicolai
Partner    VIP   

I am with Deb. A SLP will override the retention configured in a policy/schedule. I even think 7.5/7.6 the retention field will gray out in the policy and say "controlled by SLP".

Marianne
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

A policy with SLP as destination will not allow retention to be selected in the schedule, as retention is determined the SLP.

If different retentions are needed for Daily and Weekly backups, you need to create different SLPs.

Select the appropriate SLP for each of the schedules.

DG-2005
Level 5

ok thank you all for the replies, looks like i got some re-configuring to do then with policies :)

Edit: Second question regarding this then

If SLP is set as default for the policy, which contain Fulls / Incrementals

If I set the Incremental backups to run to a specific DD then NBU shouldn't see this in the SLP policy and ignore them for replication correct?

Thanks again

Nicolai
Partner    VIP   

I am not sure I got second qustion right - but I will try. Buy the way - please create new thread for new qustions next time.

Replication is controlled by the SLP and not the schedule in the policy.

If you do not want daily backup to be replicated then point the daily schedule to SLP that do not replicate. Use the "override storage unit" in the schedule configuration to do so.

DG-2005
Level 5

Will create the new thread next time, it was related to the first question after i got thinking about it.

I believe you did answer my 2nd question:

So if a policy has SLP set in Policy Storage,

Full backups schedule are left untouched in policy, those duplicate/replicate using SLP

Incremental backups schedule are changed with destination using "Overrite policy storage selection" and just selecting the local DD that does not need to replicate.

This would then replicate full backups and not incrementals (end goal / desire)

Thanks again!