Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SLP, Order of duplication

Toddman214
Level 6

Netbackup 7.1.0.4, Windows 2008R2

Hi all,

I have a question about SLP, and its order of duplication. I'm performing some testing as a first step toward moving away from so much reliance on tape. I no longer see need in maintaining a 7000 tape library, with a DataDomain sitting across town on a metro E connection, with only 2% capacity on the box. Anyway, here's my question. I have an SLP created, and set for the initial backup to send data to the primary datadomain, and a duplication set to duplicate that data to the secondary datadomain. The second line is indented to the right. Now, since I'm testing, I still need this data to duplicate onto tape as well, so I have added a third line, to duplicate the data to tape. But, I need to be sure that the data that is duplicated to tape is from the initial backup.......not the data across town on the other datadomain. Will the SLP automatically duplicate the data that was backed up first?

Thanks,

Todd 

4 REPLIES 4

RonCaplinger
Level 6

All duplication steps that are on the same level will duplicate from the same level above them (unless you also add another step on the same level as the original).

You can control which image is read by indenting (or not).  This example will duplicate the way you want:

Backup          DataDomainA

Duplication  DataDomainB

Duplication  TapeLibraryA

You don't even have to indent them at all when using this configuration.  It would work the same, using the backup for all duplications and both whould run at the same time.

If you wanted to duplicate using the image from the second Data Domain to tape at the second location, you would just indent the third line one more level:

Backup             DataDomainA

Duplication     DataDomainB

Duplication  TapeLibraryB

And if you want to get all fancy, you can back up to one location, duplicate to a tape library there and duplicate across a WAN to another location, and then duplicate to tape there, too:

Backup             DataDomainA

Duplication     DataDomainB

Duplication  TapeLibraryB

Duplication     TapeLibraryA

(Note that the order of the duplications in the second indent (DataDomainB and TapeLibraryA) don't matter, they can and will occur at the same time.  You just want to make sure the duplications for DataDomainB and TapeLibraryB are listed one right after the other and the duplication to TapeLibraryB is listed after DataDomainB.)

Toddman214
Level 6

Thanks Ron. So what I have is this....

Backup          DataDomainA

Duplication          DataDomainB 

Duplication          TapeLibraryA

You are saying this is NOT what I want to do in this case? So, if Duplication to DataDomainB and TapeLibraryA are aligned to the right, then the data from DataDomainA will just duplicate its data to both items below it at the same time?

Todd

RonCaplinger
Level 6

That SLP config is just fine for what you want to do.  The duplication to tape is on the same level as the backup, so it will use that copy for its duplication.  For what you are attempting to do, your config is the same as if you did this:

Backup               DataDomainA

Or this:

Backup                    DataDomainA

Both duplication steps will run simultaneously, both reading from the original backup image.  They will likely read it at different speeds and finish at different times, due to the backup throughput difference between DataDomainB and TapeLibraryA, but that doesn't seem to have much effect on the DataDomain's performance. 

Mark_Solutions
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

To be sure your sets are what you want try this when creating the SLP

Create the Backup job

Select the backup job and click the Add button - this creates the next job based on the first

Do it again for the next one - so select the backup job and not the duplication job when you click add - this should set the parameters and the indention correcty for you

Hope this helps