cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SLP - Pro Tip - Use Storage Unit Groups where possible!

Genericus
   VIP   

Just migrated in some new media servers. I had to update several hundred SLP policies

Created some storage unit groups, like Tape Group 1, Tape Group 2 and pointed the SLP at the storage unit groups.

Next time I update my tape media servers, I can just update the Tape Group with the new media server, instead of my SLP.

Way less work!

NetBackup 9.1.0.1 on Solaris 11, writing to Data Domain 9800 7.7.4.0
duplicating via SLP to LTO5 & LTO8 in SL8500 via ACSLS
1 REPLY 1

RLeon
   VIP   

Thanks for sharing.

I would just add that care must be taken when using Storage Unit Groups with MSDP (as warned in the Dedup admin guide), namely:

1. All of the Storage Units inside the group must be MSDP. I.e., you can't have 2 MSDP SU plus 1 Tape SU in the same group.
  2. The Storage Unit Group should use Failover mode instead of other modes, per Dedup admin guide recommendation.
  3. Optimized duplication (I.e., MSDP to MSDP) not supported when you use a Storage Unit Group as a destination. NetBackup uses regular duplication instead.
  4. Optimized synthetic backups (I.e., Accelerator) not supported when you use a Storage Unit Group as a destination. NetBackup does a data-movement intensive "traditional" synthetic backup instead.