cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SLP Query

Smalling
Level 3

Hello  All - I need a clarification on SLP maintenance.

Environment :

NBU :77X

There is one secondary operation disabled  SLP in my server for which the backuplog is too huge .

i would like to know which all policies are using this SLP ., from summary of policies it does not showup as it is set at the schedule level.

Please advice.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Thiago_Ribeiro
Partner    VIP    Accredited

Hi @Smalling,

You can cancel the SLP..There are some options look.

cancel
Permanently cancels storage lifecycle policy processing according to how the -lifecycle, -before, -after, and -destination options are used:

If the -lifecycle option and the -destination option are both used, nbstlutil permanently cancels processing for the existing images that the options identify.

If neither of the options is used, nbstlutil permanently cancels all pending copies for all existing images that the storage lifecycle policies manage.

If only a storage lifecycle policy (-lifecycle) is specified, nbstlutil permanently cancels all pending copies of the existing images that it manages.

If only a destination is specified, nbstlutil permanently cancels all pending copies that are bound for that destination, for all storage lifecycle policies.

I already had to cancel images from SLP. In my case I created a scritp to do this.After cancel the SLP, I have listed all images from Catalog and put them at .xlsx file.

I´ve create a script similar to this below, put on the left side all images and the right side made the command using "&A2&" to concatenate the command.

example:

SLP_script.PNG

Regards,

Thiago

View solution in original post

21 REPLIES 21

Thiago_Ribeiro

Hi,

Try this...If you want to export these informations you can add >> on the command

installpath/usr/openv/netbackup/bin/admincmd/bppllist -allpolicies -U >> /tmp/SLPs.txt

installpath\Program Files\Veritas\NetBackup\bin\admincmd\bppllist.exe -allpolicies -U >>C:\temp\SLPs.txt

Regards

Thiago

Mystre316
Level 4

Found on another post.

Swap the SLP name in the example command with the name of your SLP.

Thanks a ton .

@Mystre316 @Thiago_Ribeiro - with bppllist i came to know the polciies which are using the SLP.

How should i view the list of images pending for this SLP or yet to be moved out.

Here is a handy cheat sheet you can use for most SLP operations and queries you might have.

Are you looking for a list of incomplete copies of lifecycle managed images for a specifc SLP?

Use the following article to help you understand more.

https://www.veritas.com/support/en_US/article.000013928

I got the SLP back log size through the following command.

Command : nbstlutil -report 

I ran the below command to get the backlog .,

Command :nbstlutil -stilist >/home/backlog.txt

In above command i see all the SLP images , i would want to see only for specific SLP.

For this i used the below command and i am getting an error.

nbstlutil stlilist –lifecycle MY_SLP | more 

–lifecycle is not a recognized operation

Am i doing any mistake

Thiago_Ribeiro

Hi @Smalling,

I ran this command, take a look. Did you check the SLP name, is that correct?

Show status on Incomplete copies of Lifecycle Managed images

nbstlutil stlilist –lifecycle <lifecycle name>
nbstlutil stlilist –backupid <backupid>
nbstlutil stlilist –image_state <value>
nbstlutil stlilist –image_incomplete
nbstlutil stlilist –image_inactive

SLP_Example_2.jpg

Regards,

Thiago

Marianne
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified
–lifecycle != -lifecycle

Look at the length of the dash....
This normally happens when one copies & paste from a doc.

yes , i am able to take the list of the pending images .

Is there any audit command to get know when and who suspended the SLP ?

Thiago_Ribeiro

Hi,

I dont think so....You can do this using OpsCenter, on Audit Trails tab, but there isnt a filter for SLP.

By command line I dont know, If it can be done.

Regards,

Thiago

Thanks !!

This is my last concern , please helpe out .

The SLP for which the secondary operation is disabled is showing me 3TB of images to be duplicated ..

Note :The images starts from 2016 to till now ..

Actual retention of those images as per the schedule is only 2 weeks .

If I am correct ,the size is huge since the images are not duplicated as the secondary operation is suspended.

Here comes the question :

If I activate the secondary operation now , will those old images of 2016 which was backed up only for 2 weeks will be expired or SLP will still duplicate them.

Marianne
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Unless you cancel those old SLPs, they will still be processed.

SLP automatically makes the retention of backups Infinity until all secondary processes have completed.
So, only when the duplications have completed will the actual retention/expiration kick in.

To manage and monitor SLP backlogs, please have a look at the Best Practice guide.
This one seems to be the 'newest' : http://www.veritas.com/docs/000018455

Thanks @Marianne.

I do not have a storage to duplicate all those 2000 images (expired images).

If i want to cancel them is there any easy way to cancel all those 2000 images of year 2016 which was only  backedup for 2 weeks ?

Thiago_Ribeiro

Hi @Smalling,

You can cancel the SLP..There are some options look.

cancel
Permanently cancels storage lifecycle policy processing according to how the -lifecycle, -before, -after, and -destination options are used:

If the -lifecycle option and the -destination option are both used, nbstlutil permanently cancels processing for the existing images that the options identify.

If neither of the options is used, nbstlutil permanently cancels all pending copies for all existing images that the storage lifecycle policies manage.

If only a storage lifecycle policy (-lifecycle) is specified, nbstlutil permanently cancels all pending copies of the existing images that it manages.

If only a destination is specified, nbstlutil permanently cancels all pending copies that are bound for that destination, for all storage lifecycle policies.

I already had to cancel images from SLP. In my case I created a scritp to do this.After cancel the SLP, I have listed all images from Catalog and put them at .xlsx file.

I´ve create a script similar to this below, put on the left side all images and the right side made the command using "&A2&" to concatenate the command.

example:

SLP_script.PNG

Regards,

Thiago

@Thiago_Ribeiro - Thanks for all your guidence , it helped me a lot.

I have a question , i do not see the -before or -after command switch to cancle my older images.

Where can i see the detailed command reference of this .

Could you give me the command for this case : 

say i want to cancel all the images which are before 1 month.

Thiago_Ribeiro

Hi @Smalling,

The command you can see https://www.veritas.com/support/en_US/article.000119275.

About the images, in my opinion it's better you make a list of all images from Netbackup Catalog and use that example that I sent you before...With all images listed it easy to create a "kind of script" to cancel...

Regards,

Thiago

Okay , I decided to go with only nbstlutil cancel liftcycle name .

In this case only my secondary images which are pending will be cancelled correct ?

If you just use nbstlutil cancel -lifecycle <name> without any other attributes it will cancel all secondary operations on pending images for the specific SLP.