cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SLP Question

DG-2005
Level 5

Hello Symantec Forums! Have (hopefully) a quick and easy question to answer.

Background

NBU 7.6.0.2 Master

NBU 7.6.0.2 Media

DD4200

2xDD670

I have two SLP policies (full & incr).

I am currently duplicating the Fulls from the 4200 to 670s (load balance setup)

I have run into a storage constraint on 670s (suprise suprise). My question is, if I modify the SLP policy to lower the fixed retention which duplicates Fulls from the 4200 to the 670s, will that apply to existing backup images on the 670s?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

revarooo
Level 6
Employee

Hi, no if you change the retention it only affects NEW backup images not the old ones.

You would have to change the retention of old backup images using bpexpdate or from the catalog section in the admin console.

You can do it on individual images using -backupid or on the policy name which may suit you better:

bpexpdate: -recalculate [-backupid <backup id>] [-copy <number>]
             [-d <mm/dd/yyyy HH:MM:SS | 0 | infinity>] [-client <name>]
             [-policy <name>] [-ret <retention level>] [-sched <type>]
             [-M <master_server,...,master_server>]

So, if your policy is using SLP as storage you could use below (I've used test_SLP as the policyname)

bpexpdate -recalculate -policy test_SLP -d 12/12/2018
Are you SURE you want to recalculate expiration dates on all images
that meet the following criteria:
  policy           test_SLP

to expire on Wed Dec 12 00:00:00 2018
Continue?(y/n)y

Note: this will change the expiration on all copies of the images from the test_SLP policy, just add -copy <copy_number> to the bpexpdate command if you just want to change a specific copy number.

Hope that helps

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

revarooo
Level 6
Employee

Hi, no if you change the retention it only affects NEW backup images not the old ones.

You would have to change the retention of old backup images using bpexpdate or from the catalog section in the admin console.

You can do it on individual images using -backupid or on the policy name which may suit you better:

bpexpdate: -recalculate [-backupid <backup id>] [-copy <number>]
             [-d <mm/dd/yyyy HH:MM:SS | 0 | infinity>] [-client <name>]
             [-policy <name>] [-ret <retention level>] [-sched <type>]
             [-M <master_server,...,master_server>]

So, if your policy is using SLP as storage you could use below (I've used test_SLP as the policyname)

bpexpdate -recalculate -policy test_SLP -d 12/12/2018
Are you SURE you want to recalculate expiration dates on all images
that meet the following criteria:
  policy           test_SLP

to expire on Wed Dec 12 00:00:00 2018
Continue?(y/n)y

Note: this will change the expiration on all copies of the images from the test_SLP policy, just add -copy <copy_number> to the bpexpdate command if you just want to change a specific copy number.

Hope that helps

DG-2005
Level 5

Alright, thanks for the quick reply.

I should be able to pull the backupid's from the catalog from the console, and find "copy x" of those ID's to use bpexpdate and re-calculate the retention on those.

Whats the easiest way to find the media ID to show what Media ID is assosiated with what Backup device?

revarooo
Level 6
Employee

if you have the mediaid (if the copies you want to adjust are on tape)  then just use that as the criteria.

bpexpdate -m A00001 -d 01/01/2018 (example)

this will change ALL backups images on this tape.

DG-2005
Level 5

Problem is, all backups are on Disk, and I need the primary (original) copy to keep the same retention while modifying the copy's retention down.

self answered the 2nd part:

Catalog > Disk Type > OpenStorage (DD) > Disk Pool Name

Select Retention Date Ranges

Select Correct Copy

Copy output to excel, save backupid to txt file, dump to powershell to fix retention on images of that disk.