cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SLP Remote master server

Amit_Karia
Level 6

Hi All,

We are implemeting AIR through SLP for the first time, i have applied Data optimization license.

my question is do we need seperate license to enable Remote master server option (it is grayed out now) or Once Storage server and Disk pools are created this option would be visible.

We are using 7.1 at both sites.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Mark_Solutions
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

Have you added the remote media server to the local storage servers properties?

Without adding that you wont get the option to do it

On the other hand, if you create a new MS-Windows policy is the accelerator option available to you or is that greyed out too?

If that is greyed out you may have a license key issue (assuming you have added the correct license key to the Master and re-started the services.

I have come across this a couple of times with 7.1 and needed to contact customer care and ask for a new key to be generated that actually enabled the features correctly

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9

Andrew_Madsen
Level 6
Partner

You will need the infrastructure created on the opposite side and then you will need to set up your credentials between the local storage unit and the remote storage unit.

Amit_Karia
Level 6

Hi Andrew,

Infrastructure is up & Ready and DR side, We plan to create MSDP at both sides and replicate images. My question was can local disk be configured as MSDP?

Marianne
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

my question is do we need seperate license to enable Remote master server option (it is grayed out now) or Once Storage server and Disk pools are created this option would be visible.

My question was can local disk be configured as MSDP?

Does not look like your original question, right???

MSDP config is covered in NBU Deduplication Guide  http://www.symantec.com/docs/DOC3657

Planning and preparation is key to successful config - please go through the requirements carefully... 
and yes, local disk is supported.

Marianne

I am reading your opening post gain...

..... Once Storage server and Disk pools are created this option would be visible.

What type of disk pools did you create on both sides?

Did you create Advanced or Puredisk (Dedupe)?

Amit_Karia
Level 6

Hi Marianne

We have created puredisk pools

Marianne

Please share all the steps that you have followed.

If config was done correctly, Remote master server option should not be grayed out.

See Chapter 15 of NBU Admin Guide I.

PS:
I hope you have at least patched 
both environments to version 7.1.0.4?

You may want to upgrade to 7.6 - lots of dedupe and SLP enhancements...

Mark_Solutions
Level 6

Have you added the remote media server to the local storage servers properties?

Without adding that you wont get the option to do it

On the other hand, if you create a new MS-Windows policy is the accelerator option available to you or is that greyed out too?

If that is greyed out you may have a license key issue (assuming you have added the correct license key to the Master and re-started the services.

I have come across this a couple of times with 7.1 and needed to contact customer care and ask for a new key to be generated that actually enabled the features correctly

Amit_Karia
Level 6

Hi All,

Yes after applying data optimization license and configruing Replication server in storage server , We were able to see Remote master server visible for duplication.

However i was thinking about feasibility to recover entire catalog  though AIR. Let me know your views on this

Thanks again for help

Mark_Solutions
Level 6

Personally I wouldn't do it using AIR - even if it means getting a very cheap tape library or providing a disk area via a UNC path and running the backups to that.

You need both the image files and the DR file for a decent catalog recovery