Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SLP Scheduling

matias_martini
Level 3
Partner

Hi!

I'm having the following scenario:

I have a lot of policies with different schedules and retentions, and I use multiples copies.

I have a master/media server, but I want to add 2 new media servers and stop using the master as media server.

The problem is that I need to use both media servers with my 2 tape libraries, and I don't have SSO licence.

So I wanted to use SLP to make the multiples copies (backup+duplication), but I'm realizing that I need to create a separate SLP for each schedule, and another for each retention. I have near 90 policies, so doing this it's going to be a mess.

There's is any chance of use the scheduling of the policy instead of the SLP scheduling?

Thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Marianne
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Good.

Note the "License Meter" column under the Enterprise Server heading:

"Per Tiered Server" means 1 license per server, according to OS family and number of CPUs.

As a Partner/Reseller, you need to understand licensing requirements and not run the risk of deploying unsupported / illegal configurations in your or your customers' environments. 

Only if you have full Capacity license can you deploy any amount of servers, agents and options.

Again - if you / your customer need 2 additional servers, they should be able to afford SSO option as well.

Don't over-complicate the environment. 

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8

nbutech
Level 6
Accredited Certified

You do not need multiple policies

SLP is a storage type of policy, so essentially it is a (series of) storage destination

Try looking at the guide below and see what best you can do to reduced the number

You can also refer the guide below

NetBackup 7.5 Best Practice - Using Storage Lifecycle Policies

http://www.symantec.com/docs/HOWTO73205

Hi!
Yes I know that, I have different policies, and those policies have different schedules with different retention. For example, an Exchange policy with an incremental backup with daily schedule with a short retention, a full backup monthly with a long retention and a full backup yearly with no retention.

And I have like 90 policies like that one.

So I have to create an SLP for each retention and for each schedule.

That's why I want to know if there is possible to use the schedule and retention configured in the policies instead of the one from the SLP.

Or maybe another possibility of doing this having multiple copies, using 2 different media servers, with shared tape libraries. (I don't have SSO enabled).

Hope to be clear, thanks for helping.

Marianne
So, you (your company) could afford to purchase 2 additional Enterprise Server licenses but not a couple of SSO licenses?
It doesn't make a lot of sense, does it?

I have 1 Enterprise Server licence, and with that licence I installed 2 additional media servers.

But, this is not the point, I don't manage the money of my company so I cannot deiciede if they can or not afford the SSO licence, I need to handle with the things I have.

There's is any chance of doing what I need to do, or the only option I have is to buy the SSO licence?

Thanks.

Marianne

I have 1 Enterprise Server licence, and with that licence I installed 2 additional media servers.

You are only allowed to install 1 Enterprise Server with 1 license.
You are contravening your license agreement with Veritas. 

As a Partner you have access to the Licensing Guide and should therefore know better. 

With insufficient licenses, you are running an unsupported configuration.

nbutech
Level 6
Accredited Certified

The best way to solve is to organize the NBU environment with actual requirements rather than mixing and making it complex for you to make changes for any new requirements

As far as I know, I can install with the Enterprise Server licence aditional media servers.

I'll take a look at the Pricing and Licencing Guide anyway.

I'll try to do my best to fix this issue.

Marianne

Good.

Note the "License Meter" column under the Enterprise Server heading:

"Per Tiered Server" means 1 license per server, according to OS family and number of CPUs.

As a Partner/Reseller, you need to understand licensing requirements and not run the risk of deploying unsupported / illegal configurations in your or your customers' environments. 

Only if you have full Capacity license can you deploy any amount of servers, agents and options.

Again - if you / your customer need 2 additional servers, they should be able to afford SSO option as well.

Don't over-complicate the environment.