cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SLP Versions

CadenL
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Hi

I understand that there are instances when an SLP will create a new version and these versions can be seen by running the following command:

nbstl -L -all_versions

What I'd like to understand is what actions cause a new version to be created as opposed to a modification of a current version. For example, if I have a single SLP which does a backup to disk then duplication to an  MSDP on a different media server followed by a further duplucation tape library A which is version 0 then I modify this SLP by deleting the duplication to MSDP and also change the duplication from Tape Library A to Tape Library B instead - will that create a new version of the SLP or not?

If it doesn't create a new version, what scenario would create a new version?

TIA

Caden

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Amol_Nair
Level 6
Employee
That is correct.. once the backup is done it keeps a record of the SLP version number and would work only as per the SLP version configuration.. so the incomplete images would still try duplicating to the original storage i.e msdp unless you either cancel it or manually change the configuration for older SLP version..

You can use nbstl command to view the configuration for all the SLP versions and you can run nbstlutil list -backupid <> -U to get complete details of a particular image including the incomplete ones and it has a field for slp version number which you can correlate with the nbstl output to identify the configuration for the image or identify which storage it would get duplicated to

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

Amol_Nair
Level 6
Employee
Any changes made to an SLP from the gui would create a new SLP version..

Existing version can only be modified using the CLI.. Again itz not possible to change all fields in an SLP..

Adding or removing an operation directly creates a new slp version.. If you attempt to change a storage unit of a particular operation from the gui even that would create a new SLP version..

nbstl modify_version or nbstl modify_current needs to be used to modify existing versions of SLP..

CadenL
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Great - thanks Amol

And just to confirm, if I had a bunch of incomplete SLP backups that existed before I made any changes to the current SLP, these would retain the SLP version of the original SLP (before I made the SLP changes) and so wouldn't automatically adapt to the updated configuration? eg in my example, they would still try to duplicate to MSDP and the original tape libary A rather than the new tape library B?

Amol_Nair
Level 6
Employee
That is correct.. once the backup is done it keeps a record of the SLP version number and would work only as per the SLP version configuration.. so the incomplete images would still try duplicating to the original storage i.e msdp unless you either cancel it or manually change the configuration for older SLP version..

You can use nbstl command to view the configuration for all the SLP versions and you can run nbstlutil list -backupid <> -U to get complete details of a particular image including the incomplete ones and it has a field for slp version number which you can correlate with the nbstl output to identify the configuration for the image or identify which storage it would get duplicated to