cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SLP do not work

Hendrik_Bezuide
Level 4

From yesterday, I see that my slp’s don’t work.

Normal backup is running, but after that the slp does not start.

My tape drives are up, robot is up, I have run “nbstlutil stlilist –image_incomplete” it gives me report of all of them with a 2(in_progress) at the end, I am now stuck with this, how can I get the slp to work again.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

mph999
Level 6
Employee Accredited

SLPs now have a window, so they will only perform secondary operations if the window is open, pretty much like a backup window.  Unless you specifically changed this, the window will be open as defult is 24/7.

So, just to confirm ....

If you run a new backup, does this duplicate ?

Sometimes we see the issue where 'old' images are not duplicating but new ones are.

The long and short of it though, is you need to look in the nbstserv log :

Turn logging up 

vxlogcfg -a -p 51216 -o 226 -s DebugLevel=6 -s DiagnosticLevel=6

Wait long enough that duplications should have started - persoanlly I'd run a new backup to the SLP, make a note of the backupid and then wait for whatever time would be usual for your system to start the duplication.

Turn logging back down

vxlogcfg -a -p 51216 -o 226 -s DebugLevel=1 -s DiagnosticLevel=6  (these are the default levels)

Then use vxlogview to process the log:

vxlogview -p 51216 -o 226 -d all -t 01:00:00   (this would be the last 1 hours of log, relevant to when you run the command, adjust as necessary).

nbstserv can be quite a busy log, so if you start by looking for the lines that contain the backup ID of the test backup you ran, you then get an idea of where to look in the log.  You should see if adding 'backupids' to a 'BID' file and submitting this to bpduplicate.

View solution in original post

31 REPLIES 31

Nicolai
Partner    VIP   

Is the SLP replication deffered - aka deactivated ?

GUI -> Netbackup Mangement -> Storage -> Storage Lifecycle Policies - >

Check if SLP processing is set to "Suspend secondary operations".

Else you may need to re-start Netbackup.

Hendrik_Bezuide
Level 4

It is active, I suspend them and then activated them again, but it dit not help, so it is now activated

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Can you confirm that nbstserv process is running?

I experienced a situation a couple of years ago where SLP duplications stopped running when a disk full condition corrupted nblog.conf:

SLP's stopped processing

Nicolai
Partner    VIP   

And have you checked the SLP operation windows is open ?

Else you may try re-restarting Netbackup

Hendrik_Bezuide
Level 4

Marianne the nbstserv process is running

Nicolia not sure what you mean by SLP operantion window

revarooo
Level 6
Employee

In the gui under Storage there is SLP Windows where you can have a window open where SLPs can only run during that open Window. If there is none set then they can run 24x7

Nicolai
Partner    VIP   

Netbackup 7.6 has a SLP windows function where you can tell SLP to process data. 

If you are in a version below 7.6 it does not apply.

Hendrik_Bezuide
Level 4

Thank you, no there is nothing in SLP Windows

mph999
Level 6
Employee Accredited

SLPs now have a window, so they will only perform secondary operations if the window is open, pretty much like a backup window.  Unless you specifically changed this, the window will be open as defult is 24/7.

So, just to confirm ....

If you run a new backup, does this duplicate ?

Sometimes we see the issue where 'old' images are not duplicating but new ones are.

The long and short of it though, is you need to look in the nbstserv log :

Turn logging up 

vxlogcfg -a -p 51216 -o 226 -s DebugLevel=6 -s DiagnosticLevel=6

Wait long enough that duplications should have started - persoanlly I'd run a new backup to the SLP, make a note of the backupid and then wait for whatever time would be usual for your system to start the duplication.

Turn logging back down

vxlogcfg -a -p 51216 -o 226 -s DebugLevel=1 -s DiagnosticLevel=6  (these are the default levels)

Then use vxlogview to process the log:

vxlogview -p 51216 -o 226 -d all -t 01:00:00   (this would be the last 1 hours of log, relevant to when you run the command, adjust as necessary).

nbstserv can be quite a busy log, so if you start by looking for the lines that contain the backup ID of the test backup you ran, you then get an idea of where to look in the log.  You should see if adding 'backupids' to a 'BID' file and submitting this to bpduplicate.

Hendrik_Bezuide
Level 4

Not one old or new is backing up to tape after it has been backup to tape.

Marianne
Level 6

Apologies, but I don't understand your last post.

Are backups not working or are duplications not working?
Or is nothing working (backups and duplications)?

What about Nicolai's suggestion to restart NBU?

Have you increased logging as per Martin's suggestion?
Have you had a look at nbstserv log?

Hendrik_Bezuide
Level 4

I did run a new backup, but it does not start the slp to make the logs, there are no logs in folder nbstserv

Nicolai
Partner    VIP   

If possible, suspend file system backup, and re-start Netbackup please.

Hendrik_Bezuide
Level 4

Marianne 

My backups are working very well, but the Duplications is not working, it looks like it does not start the slp's.

We did have a problem yesterday, needed to restart master server, when it come back on again ,it could not see network, so system administrator did something as the network on master server did not worked, hê did get the network up again on the server. I. Do not know it that can be the problem , but the normal backups work, and I can see the robot and tape drives are all up.

Marianne
Level 6

.... there are no logs in folder nbstserv

Please restart NBU as per Nicolai's advice.

If there is still nothing logged after the restart, please read though the post that I referred to over here

revarooo
Level 6
Employee

If they did something with the Network, good idea to restart the Netbackup services as previously mentioned!

Hendrik_Bezuide
Level 4

Ok I have found the log file on the master server, will look at it now

Hendrik_Bezuide
Level 4

I have open the file, and are getting this info, my backup job for normal backup is job number 272795 to 98, but I cannot see it on the left sides of the lines, and there are quit a lot of lines

0,51216,137,226,295,1448015023990,2592,2672,0:,21:Need to collect reply,6:db_end,1
0,51216,226,226,341,1448015024099,2592,2672,0:,39:Session completed(ImageManager.cpp:319),24:ImageMgr::handle_timeout,1
0,51216,226,226,342,1448015024099,2592,2672,0:,77:next ImageMgr session scheduled for 2015/11/20 12:28:44(ImageManager.cpp:267),22:ImageMgr::StartSession,1

Hendrik_Bezuide
Level 4

Ok I have run 3 different policies, for backup, it then it did start a SLP now, the SLP is done 100%, thank you, but how do I get it to start all the old slp's, so that is can clear the space on the drive.