cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SLP duplication. One or many?

Volker_Spies1
Level 4

Hi all,

I have a number (~30) DB2 databases ranging from 300GB - 1,6TB with a daily backup to tape, in addition we take duplicates of these backups to tape to another location vie SLP.

Right now I have a SLP for every single DB2 policy, but the source, destination and read server are exactly the same in all of these SLPs.

My question is: Is it better to take only 1 SLP or should it be better to create a SLP for every policy as I have it right know?

What would be faster, what should take less resources? I don't know how NBU does batch these together, so I can't decice wich method should be better.

Are there any settings in the LIFECYCLE_PARAMETERS, because I have only big backups to be duplicated.

I appreciate any adive.

Thanks in advance.

Volker

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

quebek
   VIP    Certified

I would tried to mimimase the number of SLPs - just to have it simple. If all are being replicated with the same setting I would created only one SLP. This is my take.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

quebek
   VIP    Certified

I would tried to mimimase the number of SLPs - just to have it simple. If all are being replicated with the same setting I would created only one SLP. This is my take.

RamNagalla
Partner    VIP    Certified

hi,

I suggest you to go with one SLP( as less SLPs as possible).

and yes we can specify the job size of SLP using the LIFECYCLE_PARAMETERS till 7.5

below are the parameter that would help you in this batching...

MAX_GB_SIZE_PER_DUPLICATION_JOB 

MIN_GB_SIZE_PER_DUPLICATION_JOB 

read the below technote for more details about the lifecycle paramers

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH170086

Thiago_Pereira
Level 4

Is in SLP you configure the retention of your backups and duplications. with it its better configure 1 SLP for each desired retention, if all these backups have the same retention and type of policy I recommend using only one SLP and make settings that Nagalla recommended.

Marianne
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

This is the beauty and purpose of SLP - one set of rules can be created by means of SLP and applied to all policies that require the same rules.

See SLP Best Practice Guide: http://symantec.com/docs/HOWTO73205