cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SLP duplication issue

Mehul_Pal
Level 5

How can i manually duplicate the backup images which are backed up using slp which was "Expire afterHow can i manually duplicate the backup images which are backed up using slp which was "Expire after copy" is selected?

8 REPLIES 8

Deeps
Level 6

You Can do a manual duplication either from Catalog or from command line but that would not bring the backup image out of SLP and image wll remain in NOT_STARTED or IN_PROCESS state.If the idea is to make a manual copy and then bring image out of SLP then you need to cancle this image using nbstlutil cancel -backupid <backupid> command .

DeepS

so what i understood is that we cancel the slp and if the expiration for primary images are not yet reached it will not delete otherwise everything will be gone?

Genericus
   VIP   

Deeps is INCORRECT, You cannot manually duplicate an image that is in process as an SLP, the duplication will error.

However, the rest of the statement is correct.

Procedure to manually process is to change the status of the backupid using the nbstlutil command:

1. inactive backupid : nbstlutil inactive -backupid system_epoch

2. cancel backupid : nbstlutil inactive -backupid system_epoch

3. manually duplicate the image using GUI or command line - cannot be done if SLP in process for that backupid

4. verify second image is created using GUI or command line

5. manually expire the first image from GUI or command line

NetBackup 9.1.0.1 on Solaris 11, writing to Data Domain 9800 7.7.4.0
duplicating via SLP to LTO5 & LTO8 in SL8500 via ACSLS

mph999
Level 6
Employee Accredited

You cannot manually duplicate an image under SLP control, it has to be cancelled first.

If the image has passed it 'try to keep' time (that is, it didn't copy via SLP in time) then it will expire if you cancel it from SLP.

There is a way around this, but I would very very strongly recommend contacting Veritas support, as depending on versions of NBU it differs as to how you do it.  And put bluntly (sorry) it involves unsupported commands ...

If the image is set to expire after duplication, then even some of the unsupported commands don't work.  It may be possible using manual SQL, but I don't think I've tried it.  I'm hoping this will be corrected in a future version as I reported it to Engineering.

hello all,

we have a requirement in our environment to keep all the full backups from 18 months rentention to 35 days only

that is the reason why my qiestion arised how i can proceed as if i cancel the slp the images which are not copied will be expired. As per what i know we cannot duplicate the slp images manually

so bit confused.

mph999
Level 6
Employee Accredited

What version of NBU are you running

NBU 8.0

media server has 2.7.3 - NBU Appliances

mph999
Level 6
Employee Accredited

OK, so at 2.7.3 - the bpexpdate command should have an option -extend_expired. This is not seen in the man page, but might show if you do bpexpdate -Q.

I would suggest cotacting support to sort this out - the method needed involves an 'unsupported option. I'm not trying to be difficult, but if I post up how to do it, then someone will eventaully try it, get it wrong and lose data.

I suggest that you log a call and ask the TSE to contact me (Martin Holt, I'm in the UK) and I will explain to them what to do, if they are not familiar with the process.