cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SLP duplication

rookie11
   VIP   

Hi all

SLP are doing fantastic job in my NBU 7.1 environment. next week i hav a patching request on few media servers. I wanna delay SLP duplication job in my environment .

currently config file setting is 

DUPLICATION_SESSION_INTERVAL_MINUTES  1

If i change it to 180 ,then i suppose duplication jobs will start after 3 hrs. M I CORRECT?????????????????????

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Will_Restore
Level 6

nbstlutil command can be used to deactivate individual Storage Lifecycle Policies thus preventing duplications from occurring.

Customers who wish to disable duplication operations in Storage Lifecycle Policies during particular periods should create scripts using the nbstlutil command and schedule them to run at particular times to disable and enable the duplication capability.

The following command can be included in scheduled scripts to prevent a Storage Lifecycle Policy called GOLD_SPL from duplicating backups:

nbstlutil inactive -lifecycle GOLD_SLP

Once this command has been issued no duplication operations will occur for the GOLD_SLP policy until the following command is issued:
nbstlutil active -lifecycle GOLD_SLP

Setting the Storage Lifecycle Policy to "inactive" will not stop duplications that are already in progress.

Note that setting the Storage Lifecycle Policy to inactive does not prevent backups from using it, the setting only prevents duplication of the original backups from occurring.

Duplication operations can also be prevented in the same way at the storage destination level.  In the case the Storage Unit or Storage Unit Group used for the duplication is specified with the -destination command line switch.  For example, the following command can be included in scheduled scripts to prevent duplication operations that write to the Storage Unit STU2:
nbstlutil inactive -destination STU2

Once this command has been issued, no duplication operations in any Storage Lifecycle Policy that write to STU2 will occur until the following command is issued:
nbstlutil active -destination STU2

Setting the duplication destination to "inactive" will not stop duplications that are already in progress.

Note that setting the destination Storage Unit or Storage Unit Group to inactive does not prevent backups from using it. The setting only prevents duplication of the original backups from occurring

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

Will_Restore
Level 6

nbstlutil command can be used to deactivate individual Storage Lifecycle Policies thus preventing duplications from occurring.

Customers who wish to disable duplication operations in Storage Lifecycle Policies during particular periods should create scripts using the nbstlutil command and schedule them to run at particular times to disable and enable the duplication capability.

The following command can be included in scheduled scripts to prevent a Storage Lifecycle Policy called GOLD_SPL from duplicating backups:

nbstlutil inactive -lifecycle GOLD_SLP

Once this command has been issued no duplication operations will occur for the GOLD_SLP policy until the following command is issued:
nbstlutil active -lifecycle GOLD_SLP

Setting the Storage Lifecycle Policy to "inactive" will not stop duplications that are already in progress.

Note that setting the Storage Lifecycle Policy to inactive does not prevent backups from using it, the setting only prevents duplication of the original backups from occurring.

Duplication operations can also be prevented in the same way at the storage destination level.  In the case the Storage Unit or Storage Unit Group used for the duplication is specified with the -destination command line switch.  For example, the following command can be included in scheduled scripts to prevent duplication operations that write to the Storage Unit STU2:
nbstlutil inactive -destination STU2

Once this command has been issued, no duplication operations in any Storage Lifecycle Policy that write to STU2 will occur until the following command is issued:
nbstlutil active -destination STU2

Setting the duplication destination to "inactive" will not stop duplications that are already in progress.

Note that setting the destination Storage Unit or Storage Unit Group to inactive does not prevent backups from using it. The setting only prevents duplication of the original backups from occurring

Will_Restore
Level 6

DUPLICATION_SESSION_INTERVAL_MINUTES 5

This parameter indicates how frequently nbstserv looks to see if enough backups have completed and decides whether or not it is time to submit a duplication job(s).

Inactivating SLP or STU as stated above would be preferable to changing this parameter

rookie11
   VIP   

thanks wrobbins.

lets suppose if my customer ask me to change NBU setting so that SLP's always start duplications after 3 hours once backups are done. ??????????????

how should i do this

Will_Restore
Level 6

We cannot micro-manage backups (or duplications).  Config setting is interval and not a stopwatch. 

Omar_Villa
Level 6
Employee

You can terminate the nbstserv process with nbstserv -TERMINATE, no dups will run until you bring it up, but if you are bouncing NBU several times it will came up automaticaly, so you can hold any jobs to came by at nbrb and nbpem:

nbpemreq -suspend_scheduling
nbrbutil -suspend

nbpemreq -resume_scheduling
nbrbutil -resume

This will prevent any kind of jobs to start or get resources assign with stopping any service.