Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SLP expiration

ParanDhana
Level 3

Hi All,

Below is our SLP config,

1. Copy 1 -> Backup to primary DataDomain(expire immediately after duplication)

2. Copy 2 -> Duplication from primary DD to secondary DD.(expire immediately after duplication)

3. Copy 3 -> Duplication from Secondary DD to Tape.(1 year )

- Duplication from py DD to sec DD is accross WAN and it is slow, due to that the Duplication job takes long time to complete and it was set to expire immediately after duplication by mistake.

- But we want to utilize the Dedupe for consecutive backup images to reduce the WAN usage.

- So the images on the Sec DD should not expire after the duplication to Tape and also i cannot postpond/suspend the duplication to tape due to the audit stuffs.

is there a way to change the backup expiration of the copy 2 ? i dont want that to expire as soon as the duplication to Tape completes. I want to hold that copy2 for atleast 3 months(for the image which was set to expire immedately after duplication)....

Thanks for your help in Advance !!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

RamNagalla
Partner    VIP    Certified

you need to do 2 things..

1) change the existing SLP to take effect from the backups that are going to trigger.. which you can do from GUI

2) update the SLP version to chage the older version to take the effect on the backup images that are already being backed up and still with valid retenctions.

use the nbstl command to update the older versions..

below T/N will help you to do that..

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH145081

if you are stilll need assistance on that.. 

let us know the output of below command

nbstl <SLP name> -all_versions

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9

Walker_Yang1
Level 5
Employee

Hi,

Your SLP job has not completed yet?

if it's running, I think, you can't change the setting for second operation. unless unitl wait it's completed, and before the next SLP job starts, you change the SLP setting for sec operation.

Thanks

ParanDhana
Level 3

Thanks for reply.

I guess changing the SLP setting works from the next backup/duplication attempt. Please correct me if iam wrong.

Also, I tried the below.

1. After the successful completion of copy 2. I have deactivated the SLP for the specific backup ID.

2. And changed it's expiration date to sep/30/2014 for the copy 2.

3.Post the change, i have acticate the SLP for the copy 3.

But the image has expired immediately after the successful duplication to Tape. I just gave a try and it didnt work.

RonCaplinger
Level 6

The SLP overrides the manual expiration.  SLP's keep track of the images as it duplicates them and will always take precedence over any changes to the expiration dates.

If you want to keep a copy on your Data Domain, duplicate the image manually from tape back to the secondary Data Domain.  You can then change that expiration date and it will be kept until that date.

Curious on why you want to keep the image for 3 months...? To take advantage of the deduplication, you only need to keep the image just past the length of time between full backups.  If you are taking a full backup every week, you only need to keep the image for a week (I'd recommend two weeks, though).  And if you run a full backup once a month, keep the image on Data Domain for a month (or say, 5 weeks).  It will definitely take far les time to duplicate. 

And if you are using a recent version of the Data Domain OST driver that allows client-side dedupe, you could keep your original image for the same time frame on your primary DD and reduce the backup time, too.

ParanDhana
Level 3

Thank you RonCaplinger.

We only duplicate the Monthly copy of a critical data whch is around 40 TB. It takes more than 50 days to duplicate the first set to sec DD. I know that the allocated WAN b/w is very less for this and cant help it.

I thought it will be faster for the consecutive SLP's if we have one Full set on the Secondary DD and that helps the less amount of data over the WAN and faster duplication using the dedupe.

I will try the manual duplication from the tape to DD and check if that helps us.

Thanks Again!!

ParanDhana
Level 3

I just want to keep one full backup copy on the destination DD to use the dedupe( To reduce the WAN usage and speed up d duplication).

I take more than 30 days to get the duduplication of one full backup due to the limited b/w and huge data size.

I will try to duplicate the image from Tape to DD.

Thansk you RonCaplinger.

RamNagalla

you need to do 2 things..

1) change the existing SLP to take effect from the backups that are going to trigger.. which you can do from GUI

2) update the SLP version to chage the older version to take the effect on the backup images that are already being backed up and still with valid retenctions.

use the nbstl command to update the older versions..

below T/N will help you to do that..

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH145081

if you are stilll need assistance on that.. 

let us know the output of below command

nbstl <SLP name> -all_versions

ParanDhana
Level 3

Thank you Nagalla.

Please correct me if i am wrong.. As per the T/N, We can push the settings on the older jobs and it works when the job is not started yet(like copy2 as stated in the T/N). But Here the Duplication for copy 2 has already started and it may complete in another few hours.

RamNagalla

wow..its currently runnning..

if its compleats successfull.. it will get expire..

so now you have to make the job failed.. (cancle it), and suspend the SLP and then do the necessory modifications in older SLP.

then active the SLP again and let the start the new duplication.

ParanDhana
Level 3

Thanks again.

All those duplication jobs are 90% completed and we had to wait for 30 days. We have decided to let it go and change the setting for the next SLP attempt.