cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SLP - images waiting for SLP that isn't there anymore.

AudienceofOne
Level 3

I am on NBU 7.0.

We added 5 LTO4 drives, and am I moving away from LTO2's.  Currently alot of my backps go to a VTL.

I modified the SLP's to change from duplicating to the LTO2's to the LTO4's.

When I run nbstlutil stlilist -U -image_incomplete, I see that some images have not started, and show they are waiting for the LTO SLP, which isn't there anymore.  

What is the easiest fix for this?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Pity you didn't ask before making the change...

This is exactly what the SLP Best Practice Guide tells us NOT to do:

Do not edit an active SLP with in-process images
Do not edit a Storage Lifecycle Policy while it has images that are in process.

If a destination is deleted, images could be lost prematurely.

If you remove a storage unit from the NetBackup configuration and from the SLP while SLP images are in process, duplication for the images created prior to the change will not work. The SLP still wants to use the old storage unit for those images, but the storage unit does not exist. You could end up with an unmanageable backlog.
Instead of editing a Storage Lifecycle Policy, you can perform either of the following procedures:

• Create a new Storage Lifecycle Policy with the changed configuration. Change applicable backup policies to point to the new SLP. The images that were in-process following the old SLP configuration will continue to be processed (unless you cancel them manually).
  • Deactivate the SLP and backup policies that use the SLP (See TechNote 307360.) Let all duplications from this SLP complete, or cancel them manually. Change the SLP. Reactivate the SLP and the backup policies.

If you choose to cancel the images, they will never again be processed by SLPs, so the unfinished copies will never be made by the SLP. If you have hundreds or thousands of images to deactivate or cancel, a script would be helpful.

Commands to deactivate or cancel processing:

nbstlutil inactive –backupid xxxxxx
nbstlutil cancel –backupid xxxxxx

NOTE: If you choose to cancel processing, be aware that the images with Capacity Managed retention or Expire After Duplication retentions are subject to immediate expiration, before other copies can be made.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Pity you didn't ask before making the change...

This is exactly what the SLP Best Practice Guide tells us NOT to do:

Do not edit an active SLP with in-process images
Do not edit a Storage Lifecycle Policy while it has images that are in process.

If a destination is deleted, images could be lost prematurely.

If you remove a storage unit from the NetBackup configuration and from the SLP while SLP images are in process, duplication for the images created prior to the change will not work. The SLP still wants to use the old storage unit for those images, but the storage unit does not exist. You could end up with an unmanageable backlog.
Instead of editing a Storage Lifecycle Policy, you can perform either of the following procedures:

• Create a new Storage Lifecycle Policy with the changed configuration. Change applicable backup policies to point to the new SLP. The images that were in-process following the old SLP configuration will continue to be processed (unless you cancel them manually).
  • Deactivate the SLP and backup policies that use the SLP (See TechNote 307360.) Let all duplications from this SLP complete, or cancel them manually. Change the SLP. Reactivate the SLP and the backup policies.

If you choose to cancel the images, they will never again be processed by SLPs, so the unfinished copies will never be made by the SLP. If you have hundreds or thousands of images to deactivate or cancel, a script would be helpful.

Commands to deactivate or cancel processing:

nbstlutil inactive –backupid xxxxxx
nbstlutil cancel –backupid xxxxxx

NOTE: If you choose to cancel processing, be aware that the images with Capacity Managed retention or Expire After Duplication retentions are subject to immediate expiration, before other copies can be made.

AudienceofOne
Level 3

Thanks Marianne, I knew it wasn't going to be pretty.  Thanks for the help!