Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SLP on Data Domain - Image retention

Baski
Level 5
Partner Certified

Hi Team,

We have backed up DB data on Data Domain with SLP one month retention. There is issue with DB's now and DBA team requesting us to increase retention 60 days.

How to increase the retention of image ( backup id) 60 days when SLP configured as one month.

Offcourse, I have increase the backup id from April 30th to May 31st as below.

/usr/openv/netbackup/bin/admincmd/bpexpdate -backupid solapp_1362245444 -d 05/31/2013 -force

/usr/openv/netbackup/bin/admincmd/bpimagelist -backupid solapp_1362245444   -U
Backed Up         Expires       Files       KB  C  Sched Type   On Hold Index Status Policy
----------------  ---------- -------- --------  -  ------------ ------- ------------ ------------
03/03/2013 04:30  05/31/2013        1  3781152  N  User Backup  0       0        <policy name>  

Can any one confirm the above retention will same on DD or it will expire irrespective of any backup image ( means is it follow as per SLP standards)

If backup image expires on DD, is there any work arround to retain backup image

Thanks for your help

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Mark_Solutions
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified
to control the backup copies you can add the -copy switch to the bpexpdate command So -copy 1 will be your DD copy (assuming that is where the backup goes to) and -copy 2 is the tape copy (assuming you duplicate to tape) As Nicolai says - please do not edit an SLP if there are any outstanding images to be duplicated as it can orphan them You would also normally have a time on the bpexpdate command: bpexpdate -backupid solapp_1362245444 -d 05/31/2013 23:59:59 -copy 1 -force Hope this helps

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10

sksujeet
Level 6
If you check the SLP there would be backup and duplication. Please check and tell us the retention for both of them. It seems your backup is going to DD and then it gets duplicated to tape. Now depending upon the capacity management and space availability you have to decide if you want to increase the retention on DD or on the duplication copy(that might be going to tape). Depending upon your need immediately change the retention for the SLP policy for backup and duplication as per your need. Once done you can increase the retention of your DB backup on tape or disk. Make sure there is no way to retain the backup image on DD if image is expired. You can retain the backup image on tape if it is not overwrittent yet, once overwritten you can't import it from the tape as well.

RamNagalla
Partner    VIP    Certified

bpexpdate with out the -copy option always extend for the Primary copy.

and another copyes will follow their original retenction..

in this is case.. where is your Primary copy located..

bpimagelist -backupid solapp_1362245444   -L 

will help you to find the Primary copy and its location.. even for the another copeis and its loctions.

if the Primary copy is in DD that will expire on  may 31, if that is not on DD, and DD has secondry copy dd image will expire as per its origilan retenction.

as SAZZ said once image got expired in DD now way to get it bckup, if in case of  Tape import is the option untill it gets overwritten.

Nicolai
Partner    VIP   

If you want to change the retention of the SLP do:

GUI -> Netbabackup Management -> Storage -> Storage Lifecycle Policies -> 

Before editing the SLP ensure SLP has completed their procession first (no backlog).

Mark_Solutions
Level 6
to control the backup copies you can add the -copy switch to the bpexpdate command So -copy 1 will be your DD copy (assuming that is where the backup goes to) and -copy 2 is the tape copy (assuming you duplicate to tape) As Nicolai says - please do not edit an SLP if there are any outstanding images to be duplicated as it can orphan them You would also normally have a time on the bpexpdate command: bpexpdate -backupid solapp_1362245444 -d 05/31/2013 23:59:59 -copy 1 -force Hope this helps

Baski
Level 5
Partner Certified

Hi Guys,

There is no tapes in our Environment, onsite one DD (DD880) and offsite another DD (DD890). No Tapes concept in our Environment.

Why I am updating now means, I was extended my backup images on 4 weeks ago. Now I am able to see and also able to restore them successfully.

So, I am not worry about SLP retention. We can increase Retention by using bpexpdate command ....

This is practicle Experience .........smile

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Seems Mark's bpexpdate suggestion is what answered your query? 

If so, please move the Solution to Mark's post.

Baski
Level 5
Partner Certified

Hi Marianne,

Before post this, I have used the bpexpdate command, I didn't change/run any command, after posted here. My doubt was, we are using SLP and we do not have any tapes. So, I thought the SLP will expire our images eventhough if we execute the bpexpdate command. But, furtunately the bpexpdate command overwrite the SLP rentention.

My experiement is successfully done, so, I have marked my self.

If still do you want to give solution to Mark, I can ( But, I have not done any thing after posted here)

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Seems you needed confirmation that you did the right thing and not so much advice on what to do next. 

Both Nagalla and Mark pointed out that you can use the copy number with bpexpdate.
Nagalla pointed out that if you don't use copy number, the primary copy is changed. So, this is what you wanted and your command worked as intended.

Since Nagalla confirmed that for you, his reply also seems like a good candidate for Solution.

Baski
Level 5
Partner Certified

Hi Marianne,

I have vote up for all comments here and soltuion given to Mark  aslo.

We are expecting solution/comments/suggestion from big seniors like you, Mark,Andy....etc

Not worry for solution who got it

Baski
Level 5
Partner Certified

solution given to Mark