cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SLP policy not duplicating backups

wesptrsn
Level 3

Hi,

I have an SLP just created after getting the MSDP set up etc. , the master server is the media server as well.  Only problem is it is not duplicating the backup to tape after the backup to disk. I have another master with what I think is exactly the same setup and it works, this one doesn't, the only difference is this is a different master server. I also can't seem to find any logs for this backup, where does an SLP put it's logs?  Any help would be appreciated.   info on policy is listed below

elroy: PROD root # bpstsinfo -lsuinfo -storage_server elroy -stype PureDisk
LSU Info:
        Server Name: PureDisk:elroy
        LSU Name: PureDiskVolume
        Allocation : STS_LSU_AT_STATIC
        Storage: STS_LSU_ST_NONE
        Description: PureDisk storage unit (/elroy#1/2)
        Configuration:
        Media: (STS_LSUF_DISK | STS_LSUF_ACTIVE | STS_LSUF_STORAGE_NOT_FREED | STS_LSUF_REP_ENABLED | STS_LSUF_REP_SOURCE)
        Save As : (STS_SA_CLEARF | STS_SA_IMAGE | STS_SA_OPAQUEF)
        Replication Sources: 0 ( )
        Replication Targets: 1 ( PureDisk:flagg:PureDiskVolume )
        Maximum Transfer: 2147483647
        Block Size: 512
        Allocation Size: 0
        Size: 5170124057455
        Physical Size: 5162602677248
        Bytes Used: 17257635695
        Physical Bytes Used: 9736255488
        Resident Images: 0

elroy: PROD root # nbstl -l
FSA_UNIX_replication Platinum 50 0x0 4
0 dedup_elroy *NULL* *NULL* 0 3 *NULL* 0 0x0 0 0 1
    1 elroy-hcart3-robot-tld-0 Tier1 *ANY* 0 1 *NULL* 0 0x0 1 0 2
elroy: PROD root #

14 REPLIES 14

mph999
Level 6
Employee Accredited

Does the duplicatuion start at all, even if it doesn't dupllicate anything ?

If it never starts, the issue will be with nbstserv, which is the process that controls SLP.  It is found in /usr/openv/logs/nbstserv at NBU 7.x

If the duplication starts, then you probably need the admin log, SLP uses bpduplicate which logs into admin - /usr/openv/netbackup/logs/admin

nbstserv is a vx log, you need to process it with vxlogview.

There will be many logs I think, if you look at the filenames, they will all start 51216-226-

.. just by looking you will see that the date is part of the name, and if there is more than one log for a given day, there is an instance number.

Easiest way, is to copy the logs that you want to process into a separate dir.

Then

vxlogview -p 51216 -i 226 -d all -G . >nbstserv.txt

You need to tell us what version on NBU you have, there are various EEBs that might be required.

Martin

Nicolai
Partner    VIP   

Does the schedule(s) point to a SLP ?

Before SLP will do their magic the schedule(s) within a policy must point to one or more SLP's

You can find a SLP cheat sheet here : http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH170086

Does the command : nbstlutil stlilist –image_incomplete

list any images in not started state ?

wesptrsn
Level 3

Thanks Nicolai,  I had the policy pointed to the disk storage unit and not the life cycle policy, named them to close I guess. Retried the backup manually after changing the storage to the life cycle policy, still not duplicating. Can you run this policy manually and expect the duplication to work?

Thanks for the log info Martin, that should make future issues easier to look at. WE are on 7.5.03, I got the EEB EEB_NetBackup_7.5.0.3_PET2838949_SET2838857_EEB3  installed for another issue. Is there a listing somewhere?

wesptrsn
Level 3

I have recreated the policy because the volume pool was showing Netbackup, which we don't use. But even after recreateing the policy, the volume pool stays at Netbackup. The Life cycle policy has the correct volume pool, this is not the behavior I would expect. My other master shows the correct volume pool in the backup policy, where could it be getting this?

mph999
Level 6
Employee Accredited

The vol pool in the policy is ignored, only the one set in the SLP config is important.

SLP will not duplicate straight away, depending on any setting in the optional life cycle parameters file, it would probably start a duplication after about 1/2 hour after the backup.

The EEB I was thinking of was this one :

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH184142

EEB is 2919194

Martin

wesptrsn
Level 3

So moving right along, it just took 30 min to replicate since the backup was pretty small, I had run it several times and it was only a few meg by the time it worked. On to the next! I have a Life Cycle Policy for import on the remote master for this backup, it is giving me an error 191 complaining about  "The import failed because the imported image data class is defferent thean the SLP data class"  The import life cycle policy is platinum, the SLP on the source is platinum, I have a feeling I am missing something....

Nicolai
Partner    VIP   

if I have understood correct - the volume pool does not matter. The SLP you point to will control the volume pool. The SLP may not yet have triggered because the amount of data is too low. Check settings 

MAX_MINUTES_TIL_FORCE_SMALL_DUPLICATION_JOB (default 30 min)

MIN_GB_SIZE_PER_DUPLICATION_JOB (Default 7GB).

http://www.symantec.com/docs/HOWTO33715

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH72995

Blast --- phone calls and when I return Marin has already posted - now my post look like a "me too" comment surprise

mph999
Level 6
Employee Accredited

ha ha ha ...

... sure you will get me back at some point.

mph999
Level 6
Employee Accredited

Not sure is this will, but work a look ...

http://www.symantec.com/docs/HOWTO72894

wesptrsn
Level 3

Ok, so good so far,  got the backup duplicated and replicated to the remote master, THANKS! One last step to go, how do you restore one of these???? The prod client that was replicated doesn't show up on the remote Master as expected, so how do I get at that backup? Thanks again for all the help

mph999
Level 6
Employee Accredited

As a guess ...

Add the client from the source domain to the list of Source Clients for Restore inFile -> Specify NetBackup Machines and Policy Types and select it.

M

wesptrsn
Level 3

Ok,

I was able to restore by typing the name of the host in the Source client window and it found the backup. but I'm curious about the Restore inFile , where is that one at?

Nicolai
Partner    VIP   

Please clarify  -  Restore inFile ??

wesptrsn
Level 3

In Martin's response

"

Add the client from the source domain to the list of Source Clients for Restore inFile -> Specify NetBackup Machines and Policy Types and select it.

"

just curious what that was, I just created a policy on the target without a schedule and the host showed up on the restore tab browse drop down after I restarted Netbackup. Looks good now, thanks again for your help