cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SLP to duplicate backup of particular client or policy

Vickie
Level 6

Hi all,

I have created a SLP Policy, I given the Storage Unit and make it in Hierarchy model.

1) Backup to disk.

-> Duplicate to Tape.

But, when I created this SLP I do not find any option to be used for (Duplicate backup/image only for Specific Client or Policy). Please help me to understand as how SLP works.

> Will this SLP going to Duplicate complete set of Image available on Master Server.

> If so, when the SLP will going to be start/trigger, will it start after successfull backup of all client.

> If yes, then what if backup of few client does not complete in time and take very long to complete.

Once the backup has been done with SLP, How can I check in which media the backup goes. And where this duplicate backup can be use, how can I use the duplicated backup ?

Help would be much appreciated....

Regards,

Vickie

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

mph999
Level 6
Employee Accredited

OK, think of a regular backup policy. I am sure you'll understand how a regular backup policy can backup a particular client, or clients - simply, you only add those exact clients to the client list in the policy.

Now, take this regular backup policy, and change the STU to point at your SLP - done ... In other words, a SLP acts on a pollicy, not on individual clients in a policy.

A SLP will only copy images set in a policy where the STU is directed at the SLP. It cannot go back and copy old images that were backed up to a normal STU.

Once a policy directed at a SLP has run, the duplications kick in at some point afterwards. I think it's usually about every half hour. There are tuning settings that can control this slightly, but below NBU 7.6, it is best to just say they run automatically and cannot be controlled.

I see Nagalla has said the default session time was 15 mins, personally I thought it was every 10 mins but I can't say I have checked recently and so may be mistaken ** Just checked and it seems the default session interval is 5 minutes **  - however the session interval is NOT the time interval that duplications will run.

The main process for slp is nbstserv, this runs a session every xx mins (let's not worry about the exact value ...) - this causes nbstserv to do some processing, deciding when to batch images up to be duplicated etc ... and it is only after this that the duplications start.

Put another way - I can run some backups to an SLP and as soon as they finish I can run nbstserv new_session - the duplications will not suddenly run at that point.

Tell you what, I'll log in later and try it ... At NBU 7.6 you have SLP windows, so you can schedule when the duplications are allowed to run. If some clients are slow no matter, SLP will only dupicate completed backups - so it will still happen after they do complete, every if this was several days.

To check the media there are a few ways - I would look in bpimagelist -l at the FRAG lines and look for the copy 2 lines which show the media in I think the 8th or 9th field (it's obvious when you look at it).

To use the duplicated backup, its the same as any onther duplicated backup, just triggered a slightly different way, so you would just restore from copy 2, or, promote copy 2 to primary copy and restore 'as normal'.

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10

RamNagalla
Partner    VIP    Certified

Will this SLP going to Duplicate complete set of Image available on Master Server.

NO.

once you create the SLP, you need to specify the SLP in the Policy attributes or in policy Schedule " over write Policy storage unit" for the Polices or Clients that you would like to use the SLP.

SLP is only consider when it is specified in Policy or Schedule. and only the images that did the successfull backup using the policy will be considered.

If so, when the SLP will going to be start/trigger, will it start after successfull backup of all client.

SLP starts the duplication for the images that are having the SLP specified on the Policy.. and it will start next SLP session once backup compleated.. ( default session intervle is 15 min.) if you want you can change the Session intervel time in LIFECYCLE PARAMETERS.

from Netbackup 7.6 there is a option to Schedule the SLP jobs.

If yes, then what if backup of few client does not complete in time and take very long to complete.

SLP will keep on trying to duplicate untill it get successfull or the Oldest retenction on the SLP opertion got reached.

Please reffer the below SLP cheet sheet for more details and configuration about it

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH170086

mph999
Level 6
Employee Accredited
Note that the cheat sheet (TECH170086) is NOT applicable to SLPs at 7.6. A few things have changed including the LIFECYCLE_PARAMETERS file has disappeared, The settings are now part of 'bpgetconfig' / 'bpsetconfig'. I will create a new 7.6 version of the TECHNOTE - I'm hoping to start it this coming week if I get a bit of free time.

mph999
Level 6
Employee Accredited

OK, think of a regular backup policy. I am sure you'll understand how a regular backup policy can backup a particular client, or clients - simply, you only add those exact clients to the client list in the policy.

Now, take this regular backup policy, and change the STU to point at your SLP - done ... In other words, a SLP acts on a pollicy, not on individual clients in a policy.

A SLP will only copy images set in a policy where the STU is directed at the SLP. It cannot go back and copy old images that were backed up to a normal STU.

Once a policy directed at a SLP has run, the duplications kick in at some point afterwards. I think it's usually about every half hour. There are tuning settings that can control this slightly, but below NBU 7.6, it is best to just say they run automatically and cannot be controlled.

I see Nagalla has said the default session time was 15 mins, personally I thought it was every 10 mins but I can't say I have checked recently and so may be mistaken ** Just checked and it seems the default session interval is 5 minutes **  - however the session interval is NOT the time interval that duplications will run.

The main process for slp is nbstserv, this runs a session every xx mins (let's not worry about the exact value ...) - this causes nbstserv to do some processing, deciding when to batch images up to be duplicated etc ... and it is only after this that the duplications start.

Put another way - I can run some backups to an SLP and as soon as they finish I can run nbstserv new_session - the duplications will not suddenly run at that point.

Tell you what, I'll log in later and try it ... At NBU 7.6 you have SLP windows, so you can schedule when the duplications are allowed to run. If some clients are slow no matter, SLP will only dupicate completed backups - so it will still happen after they do complete, every if this was several days.

To check the media there are a few ways - I would look in bpimagelist -l at the FRAG lines and look for the copy 2 lines which show the media in I think the 8th or 9th field (it's obvious when you look at it).

To use the duplicated backup, its the same as any onther duplicated backup, just triggered a slightly different way, so you would just restore from copy 2, or, promote copy 2 to primary copy and restore 'as normal'.

mph999
Level 6
Employee Accredited

OK.

Ran some backups at 11:48:00, 11:56 and 11:58

Running nbstlutil new_session a few minutes after the last backup finished did not start any duplications

The duplications started at 12:23 - so 35 minutes after the first backup.

ashish_patil01
Level 4
Employee Accredited Certified

In addition to the above comments you can also refer to the Best Practice guide for SLP.

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH153154

Regards,

Ashish

Vickie
Level 6

Thanks All for you valuable inputs.

NBU version is 7.0 and master is Red-hat linux.

I use the SLP as storage unit and run a backup.

But Duplication jobs has not been started after backup.

I have attached screen shot for Policy, SLP and Backup jobs, please have a look and assist me if I did some in-correct process.

-------------------

I tried to find the LIFECYCLE_PARAMETERS file under "/usr/openv/netbackup/db/config" but its not there.
Do I need to create the file by myself ?

[root@nbuopslnx config]# pwd
/usr/openv/netbackup/db/config
[root@nbuopslnx config]# ll
total 12
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root  342 Nov 10 06:10 behavior
-rw------- 1 root root  264 May 23 02:29 dc
drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 4096 Nov 10 23:15 shm
[root@nbuopslnx config]# 

-------------------

And I go to NBSTSERV folder as well to find the logs, but its empty as well.

[root@nbuopslnx nbstserv]# pwd
/usr/openv/var/global/nbstserv
[root@nbuopslnx nbstserv]# ll
total 0
[root@nbuopslnx nbstserv]# 

How can I enable NBSTSERV logs ?

Thanks & Regards

Vickie

mph999
Level 6
Employee Accredited

How long have you been waiting for the duplication to start.

To enable the logs :

vxlogcfg -a -p 51216 -o 225 -s DebugLevel=6 -s DiagnosticLevel=6

The logs actually live in /usr/openv/logs/nbstserv

The lifecycle file is not there be default - for basic operation it is not needed.

A useful output to see would be :

/usr/openv/netbackup/bin/admincmd/nbstlutil stlilist

Amol_Nair
Level 6
Employee
A slight change to the above command given by martin The OID for nbstserv log is 226. So the command you would run to enable the logs is as follows: vxlogcfg -a -p 51216 -o 226 -s DebugLevel=6 -s DiagnosticLevel=6

Vickie
Level 6
I just waited for few minutes, and after some time the jobs has been started and completed successfully as well.

Thanks to all for their assistance/guidance.

@Martin, I would be waiting for the TechNote.....wish you'll get a free time sooner :)

mph999
Level 6
Employee Accredited

Thanks Amol - that was a typo ....   thank you for correcting it.