cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SMTP server - Update

Vamsi1
Level 5

Team,

Am looking for the information to get the detials about the SMTP server.

1) How to check what is current SMTP server it is using?

2) If we want to update new SMTP server with the old one, What are steps to be followed & also does it require any backup?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Nicolai
Partner    VIP   

For the basic - take a look in  /etc/mail/sendmail.cf. 

But that said - it can be configured in million ways. Best to contact the local mail or UNIX admin. They will know. And as SDO mentioned, its not a setting in Netbackup. Netbackup uses the OS mail functionality.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

sdo
Partner    VIP    Certified

Please tell us NetBackup Master Server OS version and NetBackup version?  If you can supply these details, then one of us can tell you exactly (or probably) where to look.

Are you wanting to determine which SMTP server NetBackup might be using?  If so, then all I can say is that nowhere in any NetBackup Admin GUI function, nor in any NetBackup CLI command, is there any functionality whatsoever to 'manage' or 'manipulate' SMTP features.  NetBackup uses semi-embedded scripts for any and all email functionality.  Principally the scripts named 'nbmail' and 'mail_dr_info' - but other admins before you may have also added email functionality to other scripts that NetBackup may be calling, and a prime example is probably a script named 'backup_exit_notify'.

On the other hand, NetBackup OpsCenter, and appliances, do have the ability to 'configure' SMTP target details.  Is it these that you are referring too?

So, is your question related to only NetBackup, or only OpsCenter, or only Appliances - or a mix of these three?

Nicolai
Partner    VIP   

For the basic - take a look in  /etc/mail/sendmail.cf. 

But that said - it can be configured in million ways. Best to contact the local mail or UNIX admin. They will know. And as SDO mentioned, its not a setting in Netbackup. Netbackup uses the OS mail functionality.

jim_dalton
Level 6

It may get the mail address direct from dns via mx records...Jim

Marianne
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

I agree with Nicolai - speak to your Linux sysadmin.
On Solaris it is as easy as adding a 'mailhost' alias to an entry for mail server in /etc/hosts.

This entry is not stored in NBU.
NBU merely needs an email address and relies on the OS for SMTP configuration.

Vamsi1
Level 5

Thanks to every one for the quick information.

Current Netbackup version is 7.1 & OS is SunOS 5.10.

I will check with my Unix team about this smtp configuration. 

Marianne
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

This is how I have always done it on Solaris:

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/forums/backup-mail-configuration#comment-3787961 

To test if it works, use mailx from cmd on the Solaris server.

Another discussion:

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/forums/netbackup-notification