cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SQL Backup of a VM

derhoeppi85
Level 3

Hi,

now i'm testing to backup my virtual microsoft sql server with netbackup. Therefore i used the administration guide to configure the client. I installed the client, configured the client properties and try to change the logon account for the Netbackup Client Service and Netbackup Legacy Network Service. The Netbackup Client Service can restart but the Netbackup Legacy Network Service could not restart after i change the local system account to my domain user.

When i start the sql backup - the application state capture (ASC) failed with the following error: host is unreachable (47). The error is correct - but is a physical network path /access between backup server and client requiered. The sql server is isolated, so netbackup can only access the sql system with vcenter support. I read that netbackup use there own vss provider that is controled through vmware tools.    

Can anybody help?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

derhoeppi85
Level 3

Hi,

i cleared the host cache but before the result of bpclntcmd -ip/hn was okay. I see no difference but it works.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

Marianne
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

The backup host needs network access to the SQL server.

RiaanBadenhorst

Through a VMware backup policy, NetBackup can create consistent full backups of an SQL Server database that resides on a virtual machine. To protect a supported application with a VMware policy, there is a new job or phase during the backup. An Application State Capture (ASC) job executes after the VMware discovery job and before the snapshot job(s). This ASC job contacts the NetBackup client on the guest virtual machine. The ASC job collects and catalogs the specific data that is needed for application recovery.

Follow the note to install the SYMC vss driver

http://www.symantec.com/docs/HOWTO44538

derhoeppi85
Level 3

Hi,

i installed the vss provider from symantec. In time i created a network link between the backup server and the sql server. The backup also failed with the same error. I modified the hosts-file from Windows to resolve the DNS names. Ping via IP and DNS name is okay.

Any idea?

Marianne

Have you cleared NBU host cache after adding hosts entries?

NBU holds host cache for up to 1 hour.

See:  When and how to clear the NetBackup host cache 
http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH136792

derhoeppi85
Level 3

Hi,

i cleared the host cache but before the result of bpclntcmd -ip/hn was okay. I see no difference but it works.