cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SQL Backups

MohitK
Level 4

Is it possible to do sql database backups using vss in Netbackup 6.5.5
Can someone please direct me to setup guide.

Thanks
MK
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

MohitK
Level 4

upgraded sql client and master server to 7.0.1 and sql backups using NBU is working ok.

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

This section in the NBU Admin Guide I is true for all snapshot backups - VSP and VSS:

Using VSP with databases
Consider the following information regarding using VSP (Volume Snapshot Provider) to back up and restore databases. Some database vendors provide a formal application program interface specifically designed for use with backup products. Symantec works with many database vendors to ensure that these interfaces are stable, efficient, and reliable when used with NetBackup and NetBackup database extension features. Many of these APIs were jointly developed to ensure that data is protected and can be restored when needed. Oracle, Microsoft (SQL Server, Exchange), IBM (Lotus Notes, DB2), NCR (Teradata), Sybase, and Informix are examples of the database vendors that provide an API for use with backup products. Symantec recommends using the NetBackup database extension features when a backup API is available and when a database needs to be backed up in a hot mode.

Databases with an API
Hot backups are performed on active databases. Use a formal API to create a confident backup and the ability to perform a successful restore. Symantec does not recommend using VSP for hot backups of these databases.
Cold or inactive backups of these databases may be possible with VSP, but success varies with each database vendor. Contact the specific database vendor to identify the recommended method for database backup where data reliability is ensured. Database programs recover from a point-in-time restore differently. If the data does not conform to the backup specification that is designed into the database product, the integrity of the database is questionable.
***************************************************************************************

There are 3 choices when it comes to database backups:
1. Use database agent for hot, online backups.
2. Use built-in SQL backup to backup to disk. Backup these disk backups with normal file system backups. (Lots of disk space needed, 2-phase backup, 2-phase restore)
3. Shutdown database and do normal filesystem backup.

MohitK
Level 4

Problem is that netbackup 6.5.5 db agent is not compatible with sql 2008 r2 so use first option.
Second option - sql backups over the network are slow and sometimes failing due to timeout issue.
Third option - cant take dbs down.

Hence someone suggested using vss which sql feature called sql writer

Marianne
Level 6

Do you have any documetation saying it's not supported?

All I can find in the Agent Compatibility Guide is the following :

"All SQL Server 2000, 2005, & 2008 Editions are supported, except Microsoft Desktop Edition (MDSE) 2000."

MohitK
Level 4

Yes I checked the db agent compatibility list and it stated that it only supports sql 2008 sp1. Not sql 2008 r2 which is supported in netbackup 7

MohitK
Level 4
I have attached the error that I get when trying to use netbackup db agent

Marianne
Level 6

You are so right - just found it in the compatibility guide on p.1...
IMHO, this is in contrast with the statement on p. 2 that "All SQL Server 2000, 2005, & 2008 Editions are supported.."

Maybe log a call with Support to find out when it will be supported and what your options are in the meantime?

All I can suggest for now is option 2 - SQL disk backups...

MohitK
Level 4

upgraded sql client and master server to 7.0.1 and sql backups using NBU is working ok.

mohanty
Level 4

I also want to try it out. Could you please share the procedure to setup hot backup for SQL database.

In my case the challeging part is that when my SQL processing is going on or overlap backup window time then either it is affecting the SQL process or Log file in increasing which is killing Hard disk space. In this case many time I am facing problem taking backup of large DBs.

Some DB sizes are 2-3TB and Daily processing of client is forcing me to minimize backup window.

Waiting for your quick reply.

Thanks

Marianne
Level 6

mohanty, this post was solved.

Please start a new discussion?