Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SQL Database backups

snawaz3
Level 6

NBU 7.5.0.6 - master/media, client

OS - win 2008 r2

we have 2008 r2 vm machines running SQL server 2008/2012. normally the database admins backup the databse and nbu backups the folder where they place the backed up database. after upgrading to 7.5.0.6 i can not select individual folders if I use the vmware policy settings. (ALL_LOCAL_DRIVES) is the only option. The database admins backup the database every night.

My question is will NBU backup the SQL server(snapshot) if the database is being backed up by the database admins.at the same time. There are two senarios.1) The database backup by the database admins has started and the NBU starts to do its backup.  2) NBU has started its backup and then the database admins start their database backup? What will happen in each case? Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

DG-2005
Level 5

From past experience in my environment this is what i have noticed:

1) If the DB is backing up by DB Admins at the same time that the VM is being snapshot, NBU will be able to only restore up to that snapshot point ,and that DB Backup will be useless if not finished by the time NBU comes around to perform the backup.

2) If NBU starts its backup process before the DB Admins run their backups, you will not see that DB Backup within  NBU to restore.

Solution: Make sure all DB Backups are done before you kick off any NBU backups to ensure 100% coverage.

That being said, you should look at doing backups at a client level with SQL as hot-backups give a shorter time-frame to restore from.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

DG-2005
Level 5

From past experience in my environment this is what i have noticed:

1) If the DB is backing up by DB Admins at the same time that the VM is being snapshot, NBU will be able to only restore up to that snapshot point ,and that DB Backup will be useless if not finished by the time NBU comes around to perform the backup.

2) If NBU starts its backup process before the DB Admins run their backups, you will not see that DB Backup within  NBU to restore.

Solution: Make sure all DB Backups are done before you kick off any NBU backups to ensure 100% coverage.

That being said, you should look at doing backups at a client level with SQL as hot-backups give a shorter time-frame to restore from.

snawaz3
Level 6

thanks for the info