cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SQL Database restore with alternate media server

arafat_apece
Level 2

Hi,

I have taken SQL database backup with one server which is both media server and client. I want to restore the database in different client with diferent media server. How i can do that?

Regards,

Arafat

5 REPLIES 5

RiaanBadenhorst
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

You can follow this note for alternate SQL restore.

To use different media server, use media host override or force restore media server dending on your storage configuration

https://www.veritas.com/support/en_US/article.000072823

arafat_apece
Level 2

Hi Riaan,

Thnx for your reply. But in our case we are using move script to restore SQL in different client. Should i have to add any parameter in script file to use alternate media server?

Regards,

Arafat

Michal_Mikulik1

Hello,

there are more configuration topics included in this scenario.

I recommend to test this first for simple file restore, before to test it with SQL database restore.

1/ As Riaan said, refere to FORCE_RESTORE_MEDIA_SERVER for Media Server change

2/ also refer to No.Restriction/altnames files topic for client change

3/ main purpose of move script is to restore a database into a different database name and/or different .mdf/.ldf file location. It is not necessarily required when target SQL Server has the same file locations and database name remains unchanged. As for your question, FORCE_RESTORE_MEDIA_SERVER is server-side parameter and it is not used in move script at all.

Regards

Michal

Marianne
Level 6
For Windows servers, use Media Host override in Host Properties - > Master - > Universal settings. This will deal with media server side. Files that you create in altnames folder on the master will allow alternate client restore.

RiaanBadenhorst

Hi,

First note relates to the SQL restore component (its irrelevant which server you're going to restore from).

The 2nd part relates to which media server will do the restore (it doesn't go in the move script)