cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SQL Metadata DB job

Azhar4
Level 4

Hello All,

this is really driving me crazy. I recently noticed some extra jobs under SQL SIP backups with file list as *md.<DBname>* which runs in the end . I  thinks its a Metadata job  which tracks of all DBs  ranunder tht policy schd but i couild not find any documentation which explains its working.  I see md.master md.msdb and on many servers i can see md.(any application DB).

so how does it woks, any one please share some insight

4 REPLIES 4

Michal_Mikulik1
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Hello,

it is probably a question directly for Veritas, I am also missing this part in the doc. That would make sense to back up msdb database (metadata about backups) and master database (metadata about databases) at the very end of each MSSQL backup job, but it is only my assumption.

Regards

Michal

Azhar4
Level 4

as per support:

The SQL metadata stream is a relatively new feature (Enhancement). We do not have any public facing documents that describe this in detail. It essentially provides NetBackup with additional data about the SQL environment. It may not be considered a 'critical' part of the backup process, because if the metadata backup stream should fail, you can still perform restores from the database streams that did not fail.

This metadata stream essentially backs up the NetBackup 'history' files. One known issue is described in the TechNote below. This issue can happen if you migrate your SQL backups to a new master server, and the metadata stream will still attempt to run on the old master server.
https://www.veritas.com/content/support/en_US/article.100052792.html

DPeaco
   VIP   

@Azhar4 

The metadata stream - is it getting a return code of 239? Also, thank you for this post. It has been helpful to me.

Thanks,
Dennis

Hello Dennis,

it always compelted successfully.