cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SQL Restore of Expired Images

jim_dalton
Level 6

As per title, we've run some image imports but the imported images arent available to initiate restore from the SQL end.

All we have available are the backups that are currently still active, ie the imported images are not visible.

The same missing info is  (not) seen via gui and via bplist.

This is 2008r2 in cluster.

I'm trying to determine if functionally one has to do something else somewhat like say rman for Oracle or whether (as is possible) the import wasnt totally successful. The person who imported is on leave, but having rerun one of three imports it came back with 100% "fragment already exists, skipping this image".

Running "images on media" suggests import was successful as I can see the backup ids, client. schedule etc suggestig import was correct.

Your input appreciated.Jim

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Michael_G_Ander
Level 6
Certified

A question about the imports, has both phase I & II run successfully ?

Have had images that showed up in the commands after a successfully phase I and a failed phase II

Being a cluster there can be a problem with the name used by the SQL Client compared to what backup images is saved under. The SQL Client typical uses the name of the physical host it is started on. The workaround is usually to set the source client under the SQL client restore, which in your case should be the fqdn vipname. It can usually be seen in the dbclient log on the SQL server.

The standard questions: Have you checked: 1) What has changed. 2) The manual 3) If there are any tech notes or VOX posts regarding the issue

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

So - this is a cluster. What is the Client name shown in import results and in images on media report?

The name in original policy may have been slightly different (e.g. VIPname / vipname / vipname.fqdn)

jim_dalton
Level 6

The client name appears in the images on media list suggesting its correct; that hasnt changed demonstrated by images being visible both before and after the one we wish to restore, the expired but imported one; the same name works for the other backups that havent expired when looking for the backup to restore; its only ever been the fq vipname. I get the feeling something needs to be run on the client end to tell it to "do something else" , quite what I dont yet know! Jim

I should add: we're using sql agent, I guess you knew that. It was ver 7.1 at time of backups.

Marianne
Level 6

Does bplist work when run on the master server? 
You will need to add a start and end-date to ensure the date of imported backup is browsed.

Michael_G_Ander
Level 6
Certified

A question about the imports, has both phase I & II run successfully ?

Have had images that showed up in the commands after a successfully phase I and a failed phase II

Being a cluster there can be a problem with the name used by the SQL Client compared to what backup images is saved under. The SQL Client typical uses the name of the physical host it is started on. The workaround is usually to set the source client under the SQL client restore, which in your case should be the fqdn vipname. It can usually be seen in the dbclient log on the SQL server.

The standard questions: Have you checked: 1) What has changed. 2) The manual 3) If there are any tech notes or VOX posts regarding the issue

jim_dalton
Level 6

bplist doesnt give the right result when run on the master either for the existing unexpired images or the imported ones. That could be down to me  tho but my parameters look right, so perhaps its by design. Or perhaps because master is Solaris and client is w2008. Ive been fooled by the filename specification before when going cross platform.

Im thinking the client definition is correct since the backup selection list on the client shows all manner of sql backups except for expired ones, regardless of having been imported. 

I cant 100% tell if import phase 2 succeeded apart from tests already run ie results from images on media ( correctly show what im trying to restore) and repeat import says I cant import something that already exists. Jim

Marianne
Level 6

bplist will give backup list if paramaters are correct.

bplist -C <client-name> -t 15 -s <start-date> -e <end-date> -R /

start and enddate : mm/hh/yyyy

If you get 'entity not found' check parameters. 99% client name misspell. 1% date range.

jim_dalton
Level 6

OK , you live and learn, a lot of fiddling and I can see some type 15 backups.

Modifying the date window to cover the data I thought was imported: nothing.

Modifying to the window of the full backup before that date: backups visible.

Modifying to after that date: backups visible..

So this all agrees with what the bplist on the client is saying. Either the import has failed  - I can see the import jobs, they are clean , or we have an undocumented feature.

Jim

jim_dalton
Level 6

Points to michael...the import was clearly somewhat dodgy as I've repeated it and can see some data. Ive not restored but Ive got something to restore so thats progress. Thanks to you both.Jim