cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SQL Server T-log backup restore process

krishnak1
Level 3

Team,

I have this requirement to restore a full backup and have that db only in restoring state. Then when ever a new t-log gets created, can we only restore the newly created t-log and apply those changes onto the actual restoring database and subsequent t-logs?

When I try to restore it gives me option to

1) Stage full recovery or

2) Restore selected transaction log.

How does 2nd option work, will my requirement be fulfilled with selecting option 2 which will apply changes on the actual restoring database?

4 REPLIES 4

Michal_Mikulik1
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Hello,

not sure I understand this requirement. However there are several comments here:

- database in the restored state does not generate any new t-logs

- difference between stage full recovery / restore selected t-log: 1st means only physical restore of the t-log(s) to the disk, without applying to the database (so the actual recovery is deferred), 2/ means direct applying to the database (so in-time recovery is performed)

Michal

Sorry I didnt explain it correctly.

The requirement is to backup from a database on Server A and restore the full backup onto server B with a different db name and from then on any new t-logs which are backed up on Server A needs to be restored on Server B in an incremental fashion.

So On server B, I restored full backup (this will be in restore state only not opened) --> then I restore t-log 1 ontop of the full --> then restore t-log 2 on top of t-log1. Will this scenario work?

Michal, Appreciate your feedback on this.

Michal_Mikulik1
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Hello,

I understand. But it is a functionality which is better covered by native MS SQL means (it is called Log Shipping). By means of NetBackup, it is theoratically possible, but it would require many and many scripting - so you cannot achive such automation like Log Shipping can.

Michal

Thanks for the feedback Michal.