cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SQL Server backup

YANN1337
Level 2

My client has a SQL 2014 server for his Sharepoint 2013 server.

He said the the logs in the DB's continu to grow and he has a disk space issue.  Actualy we use a maintenance plan on the SQL server to take the backup of his DB and I dont see any option to shrink or purge the logs after the maintenance plan did the backup.

If I dont have the option in the maintenance plan to purge the logs, does we need to use a backup script? does the backup script which is create by Netbackup SQL Client can purge the logs when the backup is done? Do we have this option?

thanks your help

2 REPLIES 2

RiaanBadenhorst
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Hi,

A Transaction log backup can be configured to TRUNCATE the logs, that means it will empty out the logs. Please note that the logs in SQL work like a container/bucket. When SQL needs to it can increase the size of the log files (i.e. the bucket will get bigger). When NetBackup transaction log backup runs it will come and empty the logs (the bucket), but it WILL NOT shrink the files (the bucket remains the same size). If your log file sizes have grown you have to use SQL DBCC commmand to shrink them.

HTH

Michal_Mikulik1
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Hello,

first, the basic question for the customer is whether he requires a backup strategy with point-in-time restore possibility for these data.

If not, you (or Sharepoint/SQL admin) can simply switch SQL databases to Simple Recovery Mode. Then transation logs won't expand more. You then configure MS-Sharepoint policy (or you probably have it) which provides point-in-backup restore possibility.

If point-in-time restore backup strategy is required, then you should have both MS-Sharepoint backup policy and also MS-SQL-Server backup policy to backup transaction logs in between. This kind of backup also truncates (purges) trx logs after successful backups.

Michal