cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SQL backup failed with EXIT STATUS 12 (file open failed)

Kwan
Level 3

Hi,

I have a query here. I am using Veritas Netbackup 6.5.1. The client's SQL backup failed with file open failed(12), this is the first time the backup failed with this error code. The past backups were successfully completed. Recently, this issue arises. I have granted full access to the following folder but to no avail.

:26:55 AM - Error bprd(pid=1620) Unable to write progress log </C/ProgramFiles/Veritas/NetBackup/Logs/user_ops/dbext/logs/13344.0.1310354768> on client mytpmapp111-nbu. Policy=DCHEQS_SQL_Daily_Backup Sched=NONE 
7/11/2011 11:26:55 AM - Error bprd(pid=1620) CLIENT xxxxxxx-nbu  POLICY xxxx_SQL_Daily_Backup  SCHED NONE  EXIT STATUS 12 (file open failed)

Please assist.

Regards,
Kwan
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Kwan
Level 3

I managed to resolved the problem by applying 6.5.1 patch to the client server as it was 6.5 previously. But i am curious as it ran successfully since the inception in 2008 until recently it got failed. 

Anyway, thanks for your assistance.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

Marianne
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

You need to find out 'what has changed' to make it stop working.

Maybe firewall changes or Windows firewall enabled on client? To update the user_ops log file, the master server needs to connect directly to the client for updates. The data stream is between client and media server.

Please ensure that you have bprd log enabled on master (restart NBU after creating the folder) and dbclient and bpcd on the SQL host. Please post logs as attachments. The bprd log on the master will contain incoming IP address from client and evidence of Master resolving IP address to hostname, followed by connection attempt back to client to update the log file.

This hostname (mytpmapp111-nbu) says to me you are using a backup network, right? Please double-check hostname lookup and port connectivity between master and client:
bptestbpcd -client mytpmapp111-nbu -verbose -debug

Post output of command as well as client's bpcd log file.

You can also verify forward and reverse lookup in both directions:

bpclntcmd -hn <hostname>
bpclntcmd -ip <ip-address>

Kwan
Level 3

Hi,

As far as i am concern, there is no changes done on this server. I have 10 servers running on this SQL backup but only two of them failed with exit status 12 out of a sudden recently.

Yes, i am running a backup from a backup LAN connected by a switch between servers. Attached are some files for your reference.

I am running on Windows 2003 SP2. Not sure how to get bpcd and bprd log files. Please assist.

Marianne

Logs are enabled by creating the directories under ...\netbackup\logs. NBU on master needs to be restarted for bprd to start logging (or just restart NBU Request Service). Log files will be created in the folders next time a backup is done.

If you post the log files, please rename them to reflect the process name (e.g. change bpcd log file on client from 071111.log to bpcd.log).

Kwan
Level 3

There are so many log files in ...\netbackup\logs (\user_ops, \mssql_backup_failures, a filename 51216-.....)

The attachement in last reply help?

Marianne

I had a look at the 1st log  (071111.rpt).

Have a look at the 1st line:

"CLIENT mytpmapp111"

The master server is trying to connect to "mytpmapp111-nbu"

If there is a backup network, you need to ensure that ALL comms are happening on the backup network. If the client is initiating comms on the public network but the master is trying to use the backup network. You can understand that the two are never going to 'meet'.

Further on in the same log you can see:

"Communication with the server has not been iniatated or the server status has not been retrieved from the server."   - more proof of comms problems.

Please read through this section in the NBU for SQL manual ( http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH52812 :(

Configuring for a multi-interface network connection
Many administrators desire to reserve a separate network interface for their
SQL Server host machines that are used for routing backup traffic. This type of
configuration requires some special considerations for configuring both the
NetBackup master server and the NetBackup client that backs up SQL Server.
There are also special instructions for browsing backup images across a
required network interface.

Kwan
Level 3

I managed to resolved the problem by applying 6.5.1 patch to the client server as it was 6.5 previously. But i am curious as it ran successfully since the inception in 2008 until recently it got failed. 

Anyway, thanks for your assistance.