cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SQL cluster Vmware backup

jinxnbu
Level 5

Hi 

I have a setup with ESX 5.5 . SQL VM is MS clustered. Can i use netbackup to backup SQL cluster using API ?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

sdo
Partner    VIP    Certified

Is it ESX 5.5, or is it an updated/patched version of 5.5?

Would you be able to more specific with with the 7.6.0.? patch version?  Please.

Has your SQL 2012 not had any patches?

Would you be able to confirm whether it it Windows 2012 or Windows 2012 R2?

Do any of the VMs have RDM LUNs?  If so, then AFAIK it is not possible to take a complete VM level backup of a VM with RDM LUNs.  It is a VMware limitation.

There may be other things that other poeple can suggest if you could explain a little bit about the backup target.  Is it an OST device, MSDP maybe, possibly tape?  Maybe something else?

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

jinxnbu
Level 5
Nbu 7.6 Sql 2012 Windows 2012 on both nbu and sql I had checked the guide but cudnt find specifically for sql cluster on vm.

jinxnbu
Level 5
If u have a problem answrring then dont answer .. stop being rude..

Marianne
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified
Everyone trying to help on Connect is doing so in their own time. All relevant information is needed in order to suggest the best possible solution. It is important to know which versions in order to check compatibility and RDMs or not plays a role in choice of backup method.

sdo

It's a bit difficult to confirm without versions.

Have you had a chance to take a look through the compatibility docs here:

https://support.symantec.com/en_US/article.TECH59978.html

sdo

Is it ESX 5.5, or is it an updated/patched version of 5.5?

Would you be able to more specific with with the 7.6.0.? patch version?  Please.

Has your SQL 2012 not had any patches?

Would you be able to confirm whether it it Windows 2012 or Windows 2012 R2?

Do any of the VMs have RDM LUNs?  If so, then AFAIK it is not possible to take a complete VM level backup of a VM with RDM LUNs.  It is a VMware limitation.

There may be other things that other poeple can suggest if you could explain a little bit about the backup target.  Is it an OST device, MSDP maybe, possibly tape?  Maybe something else?

RiaanBadenhorst
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Can i use netbackup to backup SQL cluster using API ?

Which API, SQL or VMWARE?