cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SQL incremental backups and logs truncation

NBU35
Level 6

Hi

in case of MS SQL backups FULL DIFFRENTIAL means all the changes since last full backup(equivalent to cummulative incr), is it possible to take incr backup of databases as object ?

Also if recovery mode is simple then incremental backups will truncate the logs automatically or does it happens only in case of full backups.?

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions

Mark_Solutions
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

A transaction log backup is the same as an incremental backup as the changes are what is in the trx logs.

The database needs to be in Full or BulkLogged do back it up in that way

Work through the NBU SQL Admin guide for full details

View solution in original post

NBU35
Level 6

I got to know if DB is in simple recovery mode, then only Full & full differential backups are possible.

Transactions Logs backup is not possible in Simple recovery mode of DB, so if I am not wrong then FULL PARTIAL backup also truncates the logs.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

Mark_Solutions
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

A transaction log backup is the same as an incremental backup as the changes are what is in the trx logs.

The database needs to be in Full or BulkLogged do back it up in that way

Work through the NBU SQL Admin guide for full details

NBU35
Level 6

I got to know if DB is in simple recovery mode, then only Full & full differential backups are possible.

Transactions Logs backup is not possible in Simple recovery mode of DB, so if I am not wrong then FULL PARTIAL backup also truncates the logs.