Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SQLServer Automatic and Application Backup issue

Andrea_Francesc
Level 3
Partner Certified

Hello guys,
now I have a MSSQL policy configured as Full backup (Automatic Backup) running daily based on frequency: for every day I have different Application Backup (because they use different volume pools).

Now I want to add a new schedule based on calendar (for saving data to another Volume Pool with different retention) but I cannot select calendar type into the Application backup schedule window:
how can I define a new schedule without creating a new policy?
Can I have multiple Automatic backup schedules for the same policy? How are Automatic and Applications backups connected to each other?
I cannot use Multiple copies feature because it doesn't permit to define a calendar based schedule.
Thank you for any tip,
Andrea

Some info about the environment:
NBU 7.6.0.1
SQLServer 2005/2008

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

RiaanBadenhorst
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Hi,

You can have multiple automatic schedules along with multiple application schedules. NetBackup will run through the application schedules in alphabetical order (if i recall correctly) and when it finds one with an open windows then it uses it. So you need to have many application schedules which are only open on certain days. i think that is what you're doing now by the sound of it.

So you can add one more auto schedule and it should use the same logic.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

RiaanBadenhorst

Hi,

You can have multiple automatic schedules along with multiple application schedules. NetBackup will run through the application schedules in alphabetical order (if i recall correctly) and when it finds one with an open windows then it uses it. So you need to have many application schedules which are only open on certain days. i think that is what you're doing now by the sound of it.

So you can add one more auto schedule and it should use the same logic.

Andrea_Francesc
Level 3
Partner Certified

Riaan,
thank you for your reply.
At the moment there is a schedule configured every Sunday to store data to a specific Volume Pool with a frequency based schedule: the idea is to catch the backup of the last Sunday of the month and store it to another Volume Pool with a calendar based schedule.
If I add another schedule on Sunday, this one could share the same window of the previous schedule: could this represent a problem or conflict for NBU?

RiaanBadenhorst

Hi,

You can exclude the dates you wish to run the monthly from the current sunday schedule. Your problem would however be the application schedule as it actually does the storing (selection of storage unit, volume pool, retention). You would need a new sunday application schedule too.

Marianne

In support of Riaan's excellent post, herewith TN that explains how multiple schedules can be used in the same policy.

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH90544 
DOCUMENTATION: How to create a single MS-SQL-Server NetBackup policy which contains multiple schedules with different retention levels

You may also want to add your vote to this idea: 
https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/idea/how-create-single-ms-sql-server-netbackup-policy-which-...