cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SRT with VxVm

susindran_surul
Level 6

Hi,

I need to create SRT with VXVM.I had came accross forum and boos.They menstioned if we are having vxvm version in client 2.1 will support if we had SRT with 2.1 version VxVm.

Please let us know why higher version of VxVm is not supporting to lower version?

Thanks,

Susi.S

9 REPLIES 9

Marianne
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

I would rather consult the manual than a forum post.

See About adding software to a shared resource tree in BMR Admin Guide

It clearly mentions that the software in the SRT is not installed on the client system during recovery.

Extract:

Install additional software into an existing SRT only if it is required during a
restore. Additional software may include an operating system patch or fileset that
NetBackup client software requires. The software in an SRT is not installed on
the restored system. It only brings the protected system to a state from which the
original files can be restored. Therefore, you do not need to install the following:
patches, maintenance levels, Maintenance Packs, service packs, fileset, or drivers
into an SRT that are in a protected system.

susindran_surul
Level 6

Hi Marianne,

My doubt is my system is encapsulated with VxVm and we can recover entire server like before(with VxVm) with base SRT(mini.o.s)?

Thanks for your help.

Susi.S

Marianne
Please give us version info in your environment - OS, NBU, VxVM.

susindran_surul
Level 6

O.S--->Solaris 10,9,8

NBU -->7.5.0.1 & 6.5.5

VxVm -->From 2.1 to 5

I had boot server is solaris 10 and plan to create SRT 10,9,8  on the same server.Please let us know shall i create with O.S and NBU itself or Shall i have to add VxVm also with SRT?

Note:We will update to 7.5 soon on all master and media servers.

Thanks,

Susi.S.

Marianne

If boot disks are encapsulated, add VxVM.

VxVM support for 2.x ran out of support more than 10 years ago... (see http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=releasedetails&key=15273 ) That version also included hostid-based license keys.

Newer, supported version of Storage Foundation may not be able to import diskgroup version of 2.x, especially encapsulated bootdisk when root partition needs to be recovered.

I would say using 1 version newer might work, but definitely not VxVM 5.0 in SRT to recover 2.5 system...

I think there is a VxVM / BMR compatibility Guide somewhere. Will see if I can find it.

susindran_surul
Level 6

Thanks marianne...

Sorry Marianne...One of my folk wrongly checked VxVm version with use of # vsdisk list diskname command.I have checked now its haveing 4.1 and above only.

$ pkginfo -l VRTSvxvm
   PKGINST:  VRTSvxvm
      NAME:  VERITAS Volume Manager, Binaries
  CATEGORY:  system
      ARCH:  sparc
   VERSION:  4.1,REV=02.17.2005.21.28
   BASEDIR:  /
    VENDOR:  VERITAS Software
      DESC:  Virtual Disk Subsystem
    PSTAMP:  VERITAS-4.1_p3.1:2005-10-24
  INSTDATE:  Oct 26 2006 14:53
   HOTLINE:  800-342-0652
     EMAIL:  support@veritas.com
     FILES:      828 installed pathnames
                  31 shared pathnames
                  18 linked files
                  98 directories
                 413 executables
              294601 blocks used (approx)

Then please let us know shall i create SRT with VxVM 5.0 cd?

I hope it will support for 4.x version

Thanks,

Susi.S

susindran_surul
Level 6

Hi Marianna,

I have checked entire our inventory..We have 3.5,4.1 & 5 VxVm on many of the servers.

3.1 and 4.1 Os is solairs 9 and for all VxVm version 5 is solaris 10.

Thanks,

Susi.S

Marianne

Due to the inherit differences in those versions, I would create different SRT's for each of them - especially where boot disks are encapsulated. Patch difference shouldn't matter, for example SRT with VxVM 3.5 should be fine to protect system with 3.5 MP4. Similarly, a system with VxVM 5.0 can be protected by SRT with 5.0 MP3 (which had new installation media).

I have no documentation to proof this - just enough experience with all of those versions.

Best is to test your SRT's. A couple of years ago one of our customers started implementing BMR in his environment. Each combination of OS and VxVM had a different SRT and got tested using spare disks that customer had available. Each SRT presented different challenges. Some of them ended up with Symantec support calls. Best to iron out issues during test restores than down the line when a system craches....

If you should run into problems, you will have a hard time to find any support due to all the unsupported software in your environment - VxVM 3.5 ran out of support in 2006, 4.1 last year end of July.
NBU 6.5 will reach EOSL on 3 October 2012 (couple of weeks away).

NetBackup 6.x BMR File System / Volume Manager (CL):    http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH45978   

For 7.x, see the OS compatibility list: NetBackup 7 Operating System (CL) for Client,Server,Dedupe,OpsCenter,BMR,SAN Client,MSEO:    http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH76648

susindran_surul
Level 6

Thanks Mairanne...Thats good option to move..Another one doubt.suppose i have upgarded kernal patch,firmware,SAN power path upgradation completed all the servers.If i am going for BMR recovery the same upgrade level will be there or we have do anything?