cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SSO -Query

nbuno
Level 6

Guys,i was just wondering what would happen if i don't have SSO license but my each media server is being able to (zoned & configured) see every drive ?

What's the benefit of SSO over such configuration ?

thank you !

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

mph999
Level 6
Employee Accredited

Yes, pretty much - NBU knows the tape drive serial numbers.  SSO allows a given serial number to be configured to multiple media servers.  Without SSO, it can only be configured to one.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified
You will only be able to config each tape drive to one media server. Not more than media server per tape drive. Even though all drives can be seen by all media servers.

nbuno
Level 6

ohh..so its SSO that allows us to scan all tape drive to all media servers when we initiate Device configuration wizard from NBU..hmm ?

mph999
Level 6
Employee Accredited

Yes, pretty much - NBU knows the tape drive serial numbers.  SSO allows a given serial number to be configured to multiple media servers.  Without SSO, it can only be configured to one.

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified
SSO license is what allows device config wizard to add same tape drive to more than one media server. Even if it can be seen at OS level by all media server.

Adonis_Manansal
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

Hi NBuno,

Additional info for what Marianne and mph99 had mentioned.

(From NBU Licensing Guide)

NetBackup Shared Storage Option dynamically shares individual tape drives, standalone or in a robotic tape library, among multiple NetBackup Media servers and/or NDMP hosts. These servers can be a NetBackup Master Server, NetBackup Media Server, or NetBackup SAN Media Server.

NetBackup Shared Storage Option is licensed per shared tape drive, regardless of the manufacturer, type of device, or number of NetBackup Servers attached to the SAN. Sharing of each physical tape drive among NetBackup Media Servers and/or NDMP hosts requires an SSO license for that tape drive. The NetBackup Shared Storage Option license is in addition to any required NetBAckup Library Based Tape Drive licenses. The Shared Storage Option is not needed when used with the ?NetBackup Virtual Tape Option