cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SSO configuring additional path

Amaan
Level 6

We have tape library with 8 tape drives. Currently they have been configured in 3 media servers and 4 filers. Drives are in use. If i want to configure some other filers (adding device path manually or from wizard) should i cancell current running jobs. Because drive is in use and i want to add extra path for the same path.

Question again: Should i stop backup before configuring it? If no, can you please say why with evidence so i will not have blind knowledge. i will know why. :)

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Yasuhisa_Ishika
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

You can not modify device configuration for drives while it is used. You have to add path while the drive is idle.

View solution in original post

12 REPLIES 12

Yasuhisa_Ishika
Level 6

You can not modify device configuration for drives while it is used. You have to add path while the drive is idle.

Amaan
Level 6

Thanks for the info. Can you please let me know where i can find this info in the guides or somewhere. just want ot know explanation.

Marianne
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Totally with Yasuhisa on this one - common sense and many years of experience at various customer sites.

It is especially painful to try and add a new media server in a 24x7 environment. Being a new media server means that services can be restarted at any time, but the problem comes in when drives in use on other media servers are not reported by the wizard and/or tpautoconf -t.

Media manager services/daemons MUST be restarted for changes to take effect. Trying to restart services while bptm is running will produce an error. Fact. Experience. (Yes, I have tried...)

PS: you have asked the same question a couple of weeks ago?

Yasuhisa_Ishika
Level 6

This is common sense of NetBackup, and not clearly documented.

After device configuration change , you have to restart Media Manager. If you restart while backups are running, it will cause trouble.
Now, I tested in my Windows 7.1GA test environment. Media Manager does not automatically come back.

Amaan
Level 6

Thanks everyone. Couple weeks ago my question was if it is possible to restart device manager services while drives are in use. but right now i am not askin this as i already now that.

my question was if it is ok to add path. because after adding path it will ask you if you want to restart or no. what if i will say no? :)

Marianne

Any device change needs device manager to be restarted.

Adding path is a device change.

If you say no to device manager restart the changes will not be applied.

Apologies if our logic don't work the same cheeky !

Amaan
Level 6

You said:

If you say no to device manager restart the changes will not be applied

does this means that changes will not be applied and jobs which were currently running will not fail?

Here is the situation:

I have 8 drives and they are highly used and not possible to get the idle time in my shift. is it ok to configure them while jobs are running and say NO to restart and restart it later when jobs complete? will the jobs fail in this case.

Marianne

I really cannot say.

13 years of experience has taught me to schedule downtime for device changes.

A customer who tried it some years ago (NBU 5.1) experienced this problem when device wizard was run but said 'no' to restart:

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH31854

mph999
Level 6
Employee Accredited

It is easy to configure the drives, just get the downtime, and do the job in one go.

Martin

Anonymous
Not applicable

How to get downtime and not miss a backup.

1. Run a policy schedule prediction for the next how many hours. Just nice to have and see when most activity is.

# nbpemreq -predict_all -date <mm/dd/yyyy> 21:00:00
Predicted worklist including all jobs due to run today `date +%D` up to 21:00

2. Suspend scheduling.

# nbpemreq -suspend_scheduling

This will stop the nbpem daemon from scheduling backups.  Manual backups can still be initiated.

3. Check bpps -a on the UNIX/Linux master and media servers for any bptm processes. Normally when a backup completes in admin console, there is still the rewind and unload going on. So make sure no tape/device events happening. Use admin console device monitor for check devices are not ACTIVE.

4. Once sure no device activity taking place, perform the Device Management  - configure path. Use the wizard.

5. Restart scheduling. Should pick up where left off.
# nbpemreq

Amaan
Level 6

Thanks everybody. My question has been answered. Thanks Stuart now i would know how to proceed further.

mph999
Level 6
Employee Accredited

Please Mark the solution that helped you the most as the answer.

Martin