cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SSO drive status in PEND-TLD

demo4119
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

I have four lto4 drives SSO with 4 enterprise media servers .

But Drive 0 keep having PEND-TLD state ever i have reboot server and rerun the device coniguration wizard.

Please advise.

HP.ULTRIUM4-SCSI.000     No      No                     No        hcart

media01            {4,0,0,0}                            PEND-TLD

media02            {3,0,0,0}                            PEND-TLD

media03            {2,0,0,0}                            PEND-TLD

media04            {4,0,0,0}                            PEND-TLD

12 REPLIES 12

J_H_Is_gone
Level 6

• PEND-robot_designation (Applies only to robotic drives)

For example, PEND-TLD.

• PEND (Applies only to standalone drives)

If the drive reports a SCSI RESERVATION CONFLICT status, this column shows PEND. This status means that the drive is reserved when it should not be reserved.

Some server operating systems (Windows and HP-UX) may report PEND if the drive reports Busy when opened. You can use the AVRD_PEND_DELAY entry in the Media Manager configuration file to filter out these reports. 

• I would verify that all your media servers have SSO and are set up as SSO for all the drives.

• You might take NB down on the media servers and bring it up one at a time to see if one of the media servers is causing the issue.

Marianne
    Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Run 'vmdareq' on the master next time this happens. See which media servers is reserving the drive. Next, run 'vmoprcmd -crawlreleasebyname <drive_name>' on the master.

See if any errors are reported.

Also add VERBOSE to ..\volmgr\vm.conf on all media servers. Restart Device Management service after adding the entry. Device-related errors will be logged to Event Viewer System and Application log.

Anonymous
    Not applicable

This problem in my environment is very specific. As I have several clusters each with 2 nodes running netbackup.

And sometimes it can failover, not cleanly or say the running node with active backups crashes. There may be reservations pending and the only way to clear the reservations is actually bring netbackup back up on that 'failed server'.

The crawlreleasebyname normally works but in this instance it will not be cleared.

This is however,  can be based on how you have your shared drives configured for SCSI reservation. 

Another thing to check is in case there is a stale .lock flag file for the device(s) in PEND-TLD status.

They are normally somewhere under the subdirectories ../volmgr/devices/.. 

But I would not touch these unless the whole netbackup environment is shutdown/stopped.

demo4119
    Level 6

basically i have four drive SSO with 4 media servers.

only the drive0 is showing PEND-TLD and sometime in DOWN state.

4 of the media servers are currently still functioning with 3 drives. I believe if i run a vmprcmd -crawlreleasebyname will resolve the current issue .

But is there any way to check why there is scsi reservation error occur?

RGuinn
    Level 4

You can run /usr/openv/netbackup/bin/admincmd/nbrbutil -dump |grep <drivename>.

Look for MdsAllocation and that will give you which media server, (stuName) has the reservation along with what tape, (mediaId) the master server believes is in the drive.

RGuinn
    Level 4

Have you restarted the ltid daemon on all four of your media servers?

Marianne

As I've tried to explain in my previous post: vmprcmd -crawlreleasebyname will tell you which media server was holding the reservation. Then, if MM services are running in verbose mode (as per recommendation below) you should be able to find the problem in Event Viewer logs on that media server.

... add VERBOSE to ..\volmgr\vm.conf on all media servers. Restart Device Management service after adding the entry. Device-related errors will be logged to Event Viewer System and Application log.

demo4119
    Level 6

i havent restart yet.

i have run vmoprcmd -crawlreleasebyname and media02 is shown reservation conflict .

I have reconfigure the Library on the media02 , but the drive0 status for still showing PEND-TLD.

Please advise.

Marianne

Anything in Event Viewer logs on media02? Check System and Application log.

Services are restarted when you run the Device Config wizard  (I have reconfigure the Library on the media02).  Hopefully you have added the VERBOSE entry to vm.conf?

(Why does it feel as if I keep on repeating myself?? I'll stop responding to this thread..........)

demo4119
    Level 6

thanks for advise

Noted and will turn on and check the event viewer.

demo4119
    Level 6

Attached is the event id error i got after turn on the vebose on the vm.conf file.

demo4119
    Level 6

i have shutdown the netbackup service and reboot the library .

Rerun device configuration and tested drive status successful.