cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SSO setup with ACSLS

hYper
Level 3
Hi experts, I'm trying to find the best practice or procedure for maintaining all drive configurations in a consistent state. My environment is running NBU 7.5 with media servers all sharing drives (SSO), some of which are in a ACS-controlled library. I have a few specific questions regarding this. 1. What is the best way to verify that my SSO Config is valid and consistent? Would checking that all the media servers see the correct drives with correct serial numbers be sufficient, say using vmglob and vmdareq? 2. Still on integrity of setup, would tpautoconf -report_disc be also an indicator if there is a problems? I've seen somewhere that this command may give misleading output for ACS drives. 3. I understand its recommended to use the wizard to configure shared drives. Sometimes when we have a drive problem with a particular media server, we try to reconfigure using the wizard. In cases where this fails, we resort to tpconfig. Must we do this in every media server that is using the shared drive, or just on the one that is having the problem? 4. Lastly, if we need to replace a tape drive hardware (again in ACS library) what's would be the correct sequence of steps to execute? Do i need to update ACSLS Config or is it transparent, and must we reconfigure the shared drive on NBU end? Thanks and appreciate your advice!
1 REPLY 1

Nicolai
Partner    VIP   

1: Careful planing -  I use a excel sheet and write down what ACSLS drives (use SLconsole) are to seen by what media servers. When the SAN zoning is done i verify that the serial serial numbers actual match the expected ones. If you are on Linux see http://www.mass.dk/netbackup/quick-hints/96-how-to-retrieve-all-tape-drive-serial-numbers-in-one-go..... The do the Netbackup configuration

2: Can't confirm that one - community anyone ?

3: If a drive is defect - down the path on all media severs sharing that drive. I see no reason for removing it from the configuration.

4: The WWN will be masked by the robot. But the drive internal serial number must be updated with 

tpautoconf -replace_drive <drive name> -path <drive path>