cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

STATUS CODE 31: When running a user initiated backup of a client with NetBackup, a status code 31 occurs.

Chang-Yi
Level 3
Partner
hi, I got error message "STATUS CODE 31: When running a user initiated backup of a client with NetBackup, a status code 31 occurs." and the Document ID: 275964 doesn't work for me. Is anyone have different opinion? Master: NBU 7.0 windows2003R2(traditional chinese) Client : NBU 7.0 windows2003R2(traditional chinese) There is no problem that I make a backup from server to backup client's data. However, if I running a user initiated backup, the error message comes up. Please give me some ideas. Best Regards, Chang-Yi
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

cviniciusm
Level 4

Hello,

I think this can help too: http://seer.entsupport.symantec.com/docs/322717.htm

I think the doc. 275964 is too old for your NetBackup release.

Regards.

View solution in original post

21 REPLIES 21

David_McMullin
Level 6
edit - this is just a shot in the dark - I am not a windows admin...

What user account is running the user initiated backup?

Are they an administrator of the system?

Chang-Yi
Level 3
Partner
hi David,
     Yes, I use as an administrator to run the backup.

Marianne
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified
The next step is to follow the advice in the Troubleshooting Guide for status 31:
"For detailed troubleshooting information, create a debug log directory for the process that you think may have returned this status code. Then, retry the operation and check the resulting debug log."

Start with the progress log on the client.
Next log will be bprd log on the master to check for incoming request from client and if backup request is passed on to media server.
Next log is bpbrm on media server to check if connection succeeds to client.
(Hopefully by this time we'll have some indication of where the problem is, otherwise the rest of the process flow logs will have to be checked...)

Chang-Yi
Level 3
Partner
hi,
   I follow the article http://support.veritas.com/docs/267292 to get the debug log, I find the bprd log but can not find bprm log. Please check the attachment to see is that help?Appreciate a lot

Marianne
Have a look at this error in bpbkar log:

ERR - can't open progress file /C/Program Files/Veritas/NetBackup/logs/user_ops/Admin000/logs/NBWIN011 for write (Invalid argument)

Please check permissions on this folder: C:\Program Files\Veritas\NetBackup\logs\user_ops\Admin000\logs .
Can the user that is trying to do the backup create and update files in this folder?

Log directories do not exist by default - they need to be created. The bprd log that you've posted does not seem to be coming from the master server. To enable bprd log, create the folder on the master server and restart services.
Same for bpbrm - the log directory needs to be created on the media server. If your master is also the media server, create the folder under logs on the master server. bpbrm does not need services to be restarted.

Chang-Yi
Level 3
Partner
Hello
      I  create and update files in the C:\Program Files\Veritas\NetBackup\logs\user_ops\Admin000\logs folder successfully. I create the bpbkar folder and after run backup, there is a file be created "071210.log".  And my master is also the media server. I create a file "bpbkar_path_tr" as well. However, this file didn't change (size zero )after run the backup. The attachment is the lastest log.

Marianne

Where is the bprd log from? We need the bprd log on the master server that logs the incoming client request, how the IP address is resolved to client hostname, the connect-back to the client to update the log file, the hand-over to bpbrm, etc.

Chang-Yi
Level 3
Partner
I found the bprd from C:\Program Files\VERITAS\NetBackup\var\vnetd in the master(media) server. Is that what you need? I search the log "bpbrm" in the VERITAS folder, couldn't find the bpbrm log.The attachment is the search result. I am new for NBU, thanks  for your assistant .

Chang-Yi
Level 3
Partner

Here is the search result of bprd.

Marianne

See my previous post about bprd:
Log directories do not exist by default - they need to be created. ...
To enable bprd log, create the folder on the master server and restart services.

Create the bprd folder under C:\Program Files\Veritas\NetBackup\logs

(If you double-click on mklogdir.bat in the logs folder, it will create all possible log directories.)

Amit_Karia
Level 6

cviniciusm
Level 4

Hello,

I think this can help too: http://seer.entsupport.symantec.com/docs/322717.htm

I think the doc. 275964 is too old for your NetBackup release.

Regards.

Marianne

Please see original post: "Document ID: 275964 doesn't work for me"

Marianne

Excellent find! We definately see this issue in the bpbkar log file:
The bpbkar debug log shows that there is an extra space in the NetBackup client installation path, which was converted into some other extended ASCII character.  (/C/Program? Files/Veritas/NetBackup...)

David_McMullin
Level 6
And this is why you should hire her as a consultant/support person!

Marianne
You are way too kind, David!   I will save your response for next time I need a reference! wink

In this instance cviniciusm seems to have the winning solution....

cviniciusm
Level 4

Hello,

I agree with David wink.

Regards.

Chang-Yi
Level 3
Partner
Hi all,
     Thanks a lot for all of you. I will try to reinstall both master and client. I will let your guys know the result.Cheers

Chang-Yi
Level 3
Partner
hi guys,
     I just try to reinstall master and client, change the default install path to C:\VERITAS. Then try the backup and restrore, it i ssucced. Thanks a lot guys.

Best Regards,

Chang-Yi