cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SYMCquiesce utility for Linux virtual machines INFO

stucci
Level 6

I all,

I have a problem with quiesce of Linux virual machine (VMware). I find the SYMCquiesce utility:

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=HOWTO70978

and I will try it.

But I have a question, all virtual Linux clients needs of this utility for run correctly the quiesce ? 

thank you all

regards

8 REPLIES 8

inn_kam
Level 6
Partner Accredited

Requirements for the SYMCquiesce utility

This topic applies to NetBackup for VMware.

Note the following requirements for the SYMCquiesce utility:

• The SYMCquiesce utility supports the following Linux operating systems:

• Red Hat Enterprise Linux version 5.4 and later.

• SUSE Linux Enterprise Server 11 Update 1 and later.

• The SYMCquiesce utility supports the ext3 and ext4 file systems and the LVM2 volume manager.

• VMware Tools must be installed in the virtual machine.

• The VMware Tools services must be running during the backup.

• The NetBackup Virtual machine quiesce parameter must be enabled.

This option is in the NetBackup policy, Snapshot Client Options dialog, under Configuration parameters.

• The SYMCquiesce utility must be installed in the virtual machine.

See Installing the SYMCquiesce utility.

See About the SYMCquiesce utility

The SYMCquiesce utility for Linux virtual machines

Article:HOWTO92298  |  Created: 2013-10-14  |  Updated: 2013-11-12  |  Article URL http://www.symantec.com/docs/HOWTO92298

inn_kam
Level 6
Partner Accredited
  • On Linux virtual machines, NetBackup requires a special utility (SYMCquiesce) to quiesce the file system in preparation for taking the snapshot. Without SYMCquiesce, NetBackup cannot guarantee that data in the file system is in a consistent state when the snapshot occurs.

See About the SYMCquiesce utility.

See Installing the SYMCquiesce utility.

For the Linux virtual machines that do not have the SYMCquiesce utility: To guarantee that the file system is consistent at the time of backup, consider turning off the virtual machine before the backup. When the virtual machine is turned off, data buffers are flushed to disk and the file system is consistent.

For a description of file system quiesce, see the NetBackup Snapshot Client Administrator's Guide.

•  

NetBackup for VMware: notes on Linux virtual machines

Article:HOWTO70958  |  Created: 2012-02-08  |  Updated: 2013-10-02  |  Article URL http://www.symantec.com/docs/HOWTO70958

Nicolai
Partner    VIP   

Yes - the quiesce utility is required for correct operation. Else the VMbackup is crash consistent (not recommended at all)

Hope this clarify

Best Regards

Nicolai

Marianne
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

The poster has already found this TN.
There is no point in copy & paste from this doc...

stucci
Level 6

thank you all for fast reply,

for me it is a news, we have a lot of virtual server VMware Linux RH and did not know nothing of this essential utility. Now I study the administration guide and I ask also at the support.

if other people have experience please write info tks !

best regards

Marianne
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Now I study the administration guide...

Excellent!

Always good to read NBU Admin Guides for a particular agent/option when you need to use it for the first time. 

SYMCquiesce has been around for a couple of years now and well documented in NBU for VMware Guide.

PS:
Please always select or mention your NBU version.

dukbtr
Level 4

I was searching on this topic also.  All of our Linux VMs are XFS file system.  Symantec Tech Support didn't think SYMCquiesce would work but said that installing vmWare tools should allow the Linux VM to be quiesced for the backup.  Does anyone know if this is true?  

Sorry in advance if I should have opened a new post, figured since this was really closely related, I would try here.  

Nicolai
Partner    VIP   

Your problem don't get much exposure when the title is something else.

You are best off opening a new thread.

Symantec state in "Support for NetBackup 7.x in virtual environments" they only support EXT2/ EXT3/EXT4 for SUSE and RedHat. Page 27

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH127089

Using XFS places you in the unsupported area I fear

Best Regards

Nicolai