cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Scan Host

H_Sharma
Level 6

Hello Experts,

We have 2 media servers and 1 master server. storage units are on 1 master and 2 media servers.

Few days back we had a strange issue tapes are taking too much time to mount on some drives.

We have SSO 

Master Server:- Win2008 R2

Media Servers:- Solaris 11 

We were given many solutions from Symantec TSE one of these is as below

The system is split between scan hosts.
Recommend adjusting the scan host to just one server. (Select a server with abundant resources).

To reduce the chances of the master server becoming the scan host set scanability 1.
Likewise to increase the changes of a media server becoming the only use scanability 9.

So question is as we have many backups running on master servers storage unit... Is there any impact if we change the scan host scanbility to 1 on master?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

sdo
Partner    VIP    Certified

There should be no negative impact.  What the TSE has suggested sounds sensible given (proven? assuming?) that the master was having problems being the scan host.

You could set mediaA to scanability 9

mediaB to scanability 8

mediaC to scanability 7

master to scanability 1

You shouldn't have any problems with that.

It's been a while since I looked at this in detail - but I do remember (in older versions - like v7.1 - that even with the above - sometimes the master became the scan host) - but never found out why.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

sdo
Partner    VIP    Certified

There should be no negative impact.  What the TSE has suggested sounds sensible given (proven? assuming?) that the master was having problems being the scan host.

You could set mediaA to scanability 9

mediaB to scanability 8

mediaC to scanability 7

master to scanability 1

You shouldn't have any problems with that.

It's been a while since I looked at this in detail - but I do remember (in older versions - like v7.1 - that even with the above - sometimes the master became the scan host) - but never found out why.

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

If I remember correctly, we've been through SSO setup with you and you received recommendation to read through SSO section of Admin Guide II.
Have you done so yet?
The function of SSO ScanHost is explained in this section.
It will confirm what the TSE has told you.