cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Scenerio: Migrate from NBU 6.5 Windows 2003 SP1 Master an...

GoPhins_
Level 4
Scenerio: Migrate from NBU 6.5 Windows 2003 SP1 Master and Media servers to AIX Unix servers.
(currently 6.0MP4 - upgrading to 6.5 next week - Migrate to Unix front end in about 2 months)

Using SAN and Disk Staging for some boxes.  Direct to tape for 200 windows clients(SDLT320 tapes drives in a Quantum P7000 robot)

Need to determine Hardware requirements to house Unix Master and Media servers.

(What do you Gurus recommend?)

What is your Production environment now?  Is it beefy enough to handle backups?

What would you have done differently in the planning stages?

Any Migration woes?  (Windows to Unix)

I thank you for reading my post... any questions (answered or theorized) would be greatly appreciated.
7 REPLIES 7

sdo
Partner    VIP    Certified
I want to do a similar thing next year, and I've started looking into this.  I don't believe it is possible to recover/restore/convert a "Windows catalog database" into a "Unix catalog database".   The data formats are completely different.

I'll probably be okay, as we'll create a brand new environment, new masters, new medias, new libraries.

But for you, and wanting to re-use library(s) and have knowledge of all the old media... not sure.   Maybe your library will support "partitioning", i.e. two completely differenent masters (different names and IPs, but all still on your LAN/WAN/private backup network) sharing two portions of the library.  This way you could migrate clients from the old master/media set to the new master/media set, and slowly adjust the partitioning until all clients have been migrated, and your old master/media set remains for restores until their last media expires.

GoPhins_
Level 4
We want to retain the current windows master for restores through the existing tape library.
(I guess we would need to retain the media servers also, maybe downgrade the box the are residing in) until all media is expired.

sdo
Partner    VIP    Certified
If your library9s) do not support partitioning, then it looks like you'll also need to rent/purchase additional library(s) for your new master and you'll also need new media server.  I'm pretty sure media servers cannot be shared between master servers.  You may be able to get away with implementing one new temporary media server on the new master server, and then as the workload shifts to the new environment you can migrate your old media servers as they become free.

Message Edited by sdw303 on 09-06-2007 08:07 PM

Stumpr2
Level 6
Don't forget licen$ing...

GoPhins_
Level 4
Let's see :

If we install an ALL UNIX front end, we start a new catalog from scratch.

The Previous catalog (Windows) will be unusable in the new environment.

The Live backup tapes (which would be vaulted offsite)  would die off (go scratch) over time.

If we needed a restore from the old (Windows) live tapes Could we import them into the New (Unix) environment?

Reagan
Level 5
Partner Accredited Certified
Yes don't forget Licensing.

To convert Netbackup Server licenses from Windows to UNIX, you need to consult with Symantec.

Netbackup server license keys are not cross platform.  They are platform specific.

Generally UNIX server licenses costs more than Window server licenses.

You may need to pay more to convert your licenses over from Windows to UNIX.

If you also need to convert the catalog over from Windows to UNIX, you will also need Symantec Professional services.

If you plan to start from scratch, you will need a whole new set of licenses.

With Netbackup 6.5, the licensing scheme changed, so check with Symantec.

Stumpr2
Level 6
Well thought out response to licen$ing.

Unfortunately too many think of this last when they should be thinking about it at the beginning because that is where VERITAS made their money. I suppose symantec will carry on the tradition.