cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Scheduling w/NBU 6.0

Stian_Kristen2
Level 3
We have scheduled a backup-job to run 8 times pr day (10:00, 12:00, 02:00, 04:00 etc) with a frequency of 1 day and retention of 1 month. My problem is that the job runs ok at 08:00 every the morning, but at 10, 12 o`clock etc, when the job is supposed to start again, nothing happens. I`ve checked the bpbkar-logs - nothing. What is happening?
5 REPLIES 5

Stumpr2
Level 6
change the frquency to a value that is a little more than the scheduled window. If the window is 1 hour at 10, 12, 14 etc then set the frequency to 50 minutes. That way the schedule will be due to run when the next window opens.

If you leave it at 1 day then the schedule will NOT be enabled to run until 1 day has passed. That is what you are seeing.

Stian_Kristen2
Level 3
Well, i do not see how that will help. We have one policy with 8 different schedules in it. The eight o`clock schedule has a window of 2 hours. Then the ten o`clock schedule shoul kick in and so on...
If the eight o`clock schedule runs ok, it should start again at eight o`clock the next day if we use a frequency bog 1 day. Or is there something we`ve missed?

In our case the eight o`clock schedule runs ok, and the next day it runs ok again. But the 10 o`clock schedule doesn`t even try to start. If i run a manual backup of the 10`o clock schedule it works fine, but the next day nothing happens

Stian_Kristen2
Level 3
sorry, some spelling errors in the last reply.

Well, i do not see how that will help. We have one policy with 8 different schedules in it. The eight o`clock schedule has a window of 2 hours. Then the ten o`clock schedule should kick in and so on...
If the eight o`clock schedule runs ok, it should start again at eight o`clock the next day if we use a frequency of 1 day. Or is there something we`ve missed?

In our case the eight o`clock schedule runs ok, and the next day it runs ok again. But the 10 o`clock schedule doesn`t even try to start. If i run a manual backup of the 10`o clock schedule it works fine, but the next day nothing happens

Stumpr2
Level 6
The situation is that you are using the same policy and the same filelist. NetBackup checks the last time the filelist was backed up within this policy.

Policy = backup-this
Filelist = driveA

Schedule8 = 8AM 1xday
Schedule10 = 10AM 1xday
Schedule 12 = 12Pm 1xday

The scheduler wakes up at 8AM and sees that a window of opportunity is open and the frequency for backing up driveA is 1 day. 1 day has passed since the last backup of driveA. A backup gets scheduled

The scheduler wakes up at 10AM and sees that a window of opportunity is open and the frequency for backing up driveA within this policy is 1 day. However driveA was already backed up 2 hours ago within this policy. 1 day has NOT passed since the last backup of driveA. The backup will NOT be sceduled since the frequency requirement has NOT been met.

The scheduler wakes up at 12PM and sees that a window of opportunity is open and the frequency for backing up the filelist within this policy is 1 day. However the filelist was already backed up 4 hours ago within this policy. 1 day has NOT passed since the last backup of the filelist within this policy. The backup will NOT be scheduled since the frequency requirement has NOT been met.

So how do you get the results you want? I suggest using only 1 schedule with a window of opportunity set for the entire duration of the backup window and a frequency of 2 hours. I have some hourly backups that I run in this manner.

If it is imperative that the backup start immediately on the hour then I suggest creating a single schedule with window"s" of opportunity from 8-8:30, 10-10:30, 12-12:30,14-14:30 etc... and a frequency of 1 hour and 50 minutes.Message was edited by:
Bob Stump

Stian_Kristen2
Level 3
Bob, thanks for explaining. I didn`t realise that NBU checked the filelist and not the schedule. Nice. I`ll try your suggestions